driftwood & tannins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hola mi amigos,

i added a big piece of driftwood, thinking i would like the tannin effect & BOOM!! my tank is totally orange!! LOL

i added new filter pads last night but it only got worse. i assume because it wasnt done seeping out yet..??

i read that fresh carbon removes the color. is that the same as filter pads??

i'm gonna do some pwc's this week to try & tone it down but any info would be appreciated :)

(i also threw some coral in my back corner to try & keep my ph the same.. good idea?)

THANKS FRIENDS!!!!

attatched is a quick pic of the new set up & DW.. i'm going to switch the gravel to all black over the next few weeks

Attachments

• image-1647038814.jpg
    image-1647038814.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 209
Carbon is different from the filter pads and needs frequently replaced. Maybe it was the picture but I didn't really notice any orange water, especially not compared to my tank. So you looking for advice on how to get rid of tannins or you still want to keep them?

carbon gets the stuff right out. i have a leachy piece, and i just run carbon in the filter every time it gets annoying. and i would remove the coral as well. the tannins really won't make as much of a difference in the ph as the coral will.

c_leed said:
Carbon is different from the filter pads and needs frequently replaced. Maybe it was the picture but I didn't really notice any orange water, especially not compared to my tank. So you looking for advice on how to get rid of tannins or you still want to keep them?

i think i wanna get rid of them completely.. i thought id like em but not so much lol i'm attaching pics of before in turned & now, but the 2nd pic doesnt show how orange it is in person

THANKS C_LEED & BLACKMOLLY!!! i appreciate the help!!!

Attachments

• image-2838412077.jpg
    image-2838412077.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 160
  • image-1816860409.jpg
    image-1816860409.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 164
It takes time really and depending on the wood it can leech for a while. You can try boiling it, that can speed up the process. Otherwise some frequent water changes will help until it clears up.

thanks librarygirl :)

the piece i have is almost 2 feet long so there wont be any boiling lol

i did a pwc & its better .. orange but def better :) .. i'm gonna keep doing those & i'll grab some carbon tomorrow after work

THANKS FOR THE HELP HOMIES!!

I hear you- I added a large piece, and two smaller pieces of mopani wood to my 55 gallon tank. I am on week two and the tank still is a bit orangish... Ive been doing a 75% water change every 5-7 days. Its a lot better than it was...

The second day after having added the wood, I couldnt see the plants in the back of the tank. Now its been three days since I did a change, and the water is only slightly murky.

Last edited:
thanks librarygirl :)

the piece i have is almost 2 feet long so there wont be any boiling lol

i did a pwc & its better .. orange but def better :) .. i'm gonna keep doing those & i'll grab some carbon tomorrow after work

THANKS FOR THE HELP HOMIES!!

It's slower but you can still boil the driftwood. You just need a platic container big enough to fit the piece in. Then you can boil water as you would normally in a pot. Just dumped the heated water into the plastic tub then and repeat. Just a thought if you want to go that route.

yeah talvari, my plants disappeared too!! lol i did a 50% change & its def better but like yours, still a bit merky .. i THINK mine is malaysian dw

& thanks c-leed.. i'm kind of a lazy dude so i'll try the pwc's & carbon first lol

i dropped $40 on the dw so i'm def using it lol

Some types of DW seem to never stop leeching. You can also put purigen in your filter to help.

seachem purigen is quite good at removing tannins. but you'll need to use a very fine mesh bag to stop it escaping into the tank. i used 3 layers of nylon stockings. it took about 3 months for my driftwood to stop leaking tannins.

THANKS pc1 & tropical!! i appreciate the help!!

& tropster, when you say stockings, do you mean pantyhose? any specific brand or style? LOL!!!!

hitting the local lfs tomorrow night so any extra info would be great :)

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

you know my piece of driftwood I had was to big to boil to so I ran it on the strongest cycle my dishwasher had (with no soap if course) about 4 or 5 times. my girlfriend didn't like it but it should did help alot with the tannins and took less time than soaking and boiling...it still floated for about a week when I put it in though

I'm actually having the same problem right now Roach. Are you gonna go with activated carbon or the Seachem stuff?

i actually grabbed 'fluval clearmax' .. the guy at the lfs said i should throw it right in the tank (in the mesh bag) & it would help absorb all the tannins. if i dont see results i'm gonna try it in the filter & see if that makes a diff

let me know what you do though, cuz i have a feeling my plan isnt gonna work for some reason lol

Will do man, i think im gonna try carbon.
It's gotten to the point were something needs to happen. Ive had Malaysian dw for a whole month and its still leeching! I have one of those forever leeching ones! Lol

It won't help with your big pieces of driftwood but for your small ones if u put it in in the back of a toilet in the tank. It's the lazy man's way of treating driftwood. It gets frequent water changes and you can just forget about it for a while.

Back
Top Bottom