Driftwood discoloring my water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamaj

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi i have soaked my driftwood for two weeks, then put it in my tank. So in total it has been soaking for about 3 weeks. and the water is still discolored. I have 2 pieces of asian driftwood, and 1 peice of african. How long will my water stay discolored?

Hi iamaj,

That really depends on the amount of tannins in the wood. The color will dilute with every water change, so you could increase the frequency of your water changes.

Some people actually prefer the look of the colored water.

HTH

Dosn't Activated Carbon also remove the color from water?

And be prepared, I've known tanks that stayed tinted for almost a year from driftwwood

If you don't like the discoloration, use activated carbon and change it regularly. It will pull the tints out of the water, although probably not overnight.

If it was slightly discolored no biggie but it looks likes a like colored tea. Activatec carbon? like in my filter? or is that charcoal...

any ways how would i add activated carbon to it?

also, do the tannins have any effects to plants/fish/water quality?

*high fives William*

Simulpost! Wheeeeeeeeeee

And activated carbon is basically charcoal. Slightly diff treatment I believe. Depends on what sort of filter you have. Some filters have pre-made filter media that has AC in it, some filters have extra containers for additions of stuff like AC. Let us know what kind of filter you have and we'll figure out how to add it.

*edit*
Driftwood tends to lower Ph, especially when its leaking tannins. Is why its suggested as one of the things to use for angelfish tanks, as they like a lower Ph.

Will it help plants. Generally yes because tannins are iron rich and underwater plants require iron to grow. Excess iron though will lead to algae forming. Fish like tetras do really well in tannin rich water because they are genrally found in streams that are filled with leaves and wood in the amazon.

I like the slight hint of color. carbon does seem to clear it up but I prefer the tint a no carbon unless I need it for something else.

the filters for that have carbon in them. They will be good for about a month. You will have to change the filter if you want the carbon still. otherwise I reuse the filters. just rinse them in removed tank water.

I have the 175 version of that filter. If yours is as similar to mine as I think, you also should be able to make a small bag (out of cheesecloth maybe), add the carbon to that and slip it behind the filter. Its a backup option in case your bio-wheel isn't mature and you don't want to change the filter yet.

Although I decided to go with all rocks and fake plants (cichlids you know), I was looking at the driftwood today too. The guy working at the lfs, who seemed very knowledgeable in every other area, recommended that if I purchased any driftwood to first wash it in my dishwasher by itself several times before placing it in the tank - no detergent of course. I, being the experienced husband that I am, immediately asked if this would stain the inside of my dishwasher. He replied, as a married man himself, "...that he would not be standing there alive in front of me today if it had." :lol:

Like I said, I have not tried it myself, but he seemed to be pretty well versed in everything else I brought up.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom