Driftwood for Bristlenose Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been reading about them and from what I have read it says that Bristlenose Plecos need driftwood. How much do I need in my tank to keep them happy? It will be a 55 gallon Planted tank. I have never had a bristlenose so any other tips would be great too.

You wouldn't need a very large piece.....some people question whether or not BNP's need DW at all. But it you just find a small branch that should be adequate. They don't eat much.

I go heavy on driftwood in my tanks. Mixed with "greens," it gives it all a natural look. As for the pleco, the wood provides them with lignin and cellulose, which benefits their digestive system. But don't worry, your driftwood won't disappear...

David

I love driftwood. It's a really good idea to have a few pieces for your pleco. I actually grow green algae on purpose every now and again by leaving me lights on for about 12-13 hours a day for a few days. I'm careful to clean the glass often but the African cichlids and pleco seem to enjoy grazing and sucking to get the algae.

I have been reading about them and from what I have read it says that Bristlenose Plecos need driftwood. How much do I need in my tank to keep them happy? It will be a 55 gallon Planted tank. I have never had a bristlenose so any other tips would be great too.

IME the driftwood is helpful but they won't really eat algae if their is some present in the tank.

IME the driftwood is helpful but they won't really eat algae if their is some present in the tank.

Yeah wasn't saying they will for sure, just find mine does but the algae growth is more for my Mbuna's. I should have been more clear about that.

So will he be okay with like just 2 peices? I kinda plan to build a slate structure so wasnt planing on using a ton of driftwood.

I have various sizes with all the plants and it more than enough for my two. They like to rasp on it. And yea they will eat algae. I have a rock in one corner of my tank that is an algae farm. Been growing on that rock for just that purpose and they have almost chowed it down. They will pretty much vacuum ur tank. One of the best scavengers I have ever had.

Back
Top Bottom