Driftwood from LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been hearing about a lot of people soaking and boiling driftwood that they bought from an LFS.

I thought you only had to do that if you found the driftwood in the wild!

Isn't driftwood already submerged at the LFS already cured?

Not always from what I've heard ... but i guess it depends on the brand? Mopani DW is safe for aquariums, I just put mine directly into the tank after I gave it a quick rinse with tap (before the fish went in)

Most people soak and boil it to remove as much of the tannins as possible so the water doesn't turn as tea-colored as it could.

But I mean, if it's in the tank water at the LFS and not leeching any tannins, why would you need to boil it?

It's good to 'sanitize it'... I dont boil it. A trip through the dishwasher does the trick. Just a good measure to make sure you dont bring in any diseases.

Yeah.. or just pouring boiling water over it. I just use the dishwasher because it's easier. And, no scientific proof on this, but pieces seem to sink much quicker when run through the dishwasher.. if they weren't already sunken.

Ah, I see. Okay. I added driftwood straight from the LFS and never had any problems, but I can see how boiling it would be safer, or dishwashing it. Thanks guys.

Driftwood from the tanks at your lfs should be sanitized, you never know what might come along with it. If the piece is small enough a couple minutes in the microwave will do it, particularly if you wrap or bag it with a bit of water and steam it.

How are the plants attached? If there isnt a resin on it the you should be able to separate the wood and plants, the boil the wood, then reattach the roots to the wood.

If I don't have a QT, what about pouring boiling water over all the parts except the plant?

You don't have problems with detergent getting into the wood with the dishwasher? I would think the only thing worse than soap would be detergent. I know you aren't putting any in the washer with the wood (I hope) but people worry if rivers have any sort of run off that could bring trace amounts of chemicals into the wood so I think it would be harmful.

You don't have problems with detergent getting into the wood with the dishwasher? I would think the only thing worse than soap would be detergent. I know you aren't putting any in the washer with the wood (I hope)

Nope to my wife's dismay I've washed more driftwood than actual dishes with my dishwasher, and never had any issues...and of course no soap.

That would work, but whats stopping you from slpitting the wood and the plant? Can you provide a picture?

haha, this was a question out of curiosity, so I don't have a specific piece in mind. Although I don't think I would ever ever want to split them, since if they're attached, it's a beautiful thing, and if they didn't grow back together, I would be really sad.

Back
Top Bottom