Driftwood frustration.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have this great piece of DW I got from a local lake, I actually picked up 2 pieces from this same stump. 1 has been in my tank for a couple months now because it was much smaller and able to fit in a pot to boil/soak.

The other is really big... Too big for anything I had to soak it in until I remember the laundry room sink downstairs and it's just short enough to fit in there. So it's been down there soaking for a few weeks now.. but isn't making any improvement in the sinking department. There are no tannins anymore but the sucker still floats! I currently have it weighed down with a plastic bucket filled with a bag of gravel sitting in the sink on top of the wood.

It's down in the basement so carting buckets/pots of boiling water across the house and down everyday is just a giant PITA and hubby would beat me if I tried to take over the kitchen sink with it. ;) I'm starting to wonder if this thing will ever make it's way into my tank. Is this just going to be a test of my patience? Keep emptying and refilling the water and hoping for improvement?

Hi,

You could try using a small flat piece of Plexiglas (maybe untreated wood?) And attach to the "bottom" of the driftwood. Once you cover it with gravel and some rocks it should stay down.

I had the same problem that you had with a piece of driftwood for my tank. I bought a piece of slate and screwed it into the bottom of the driftwood and buried it in my gravel. The weight of the slate alone was enough to hold down the driftwood.

My piece was similar to a curved pvc tube with holes in it so i just put rocks to weigh it down until it would finally be waterlogged. It only took me 2 weeks for a bone dry piece.

If you anchor it to something else, be sure to use stainless steel screws (that is butterfly koi's and hondatek's advice, as I am going through this as well).

Still haven't finished soaking it but that sucker is about to get screwed GOOD. :lol:

heres what i did had a great twisted log that float so i took some good looking rocks and with a black nylon wire tie wrapped it to get the sucker to stay then to hide the wire tie i used moss and anubias nana so its gone ...lol good luck

I took a rock and wound a rubber band around the wood and the rock and sank it in my tank itself for about 2 weeks now it's fine and I took the rock out

thanks for the ideas guys! I was debating attaching it to slate but I'm not sure if I want the piece to be horizontal or vertical.

Here it is

img_2107756_0_b42472e6e224fe4564f385d63854eefa.jpg

and the other side - I'm not sure how I missed the rock stuck in there, I did pop in out. lol

img_2107756_1_f58bccbe29feca90d1aaf515c1bdc673.jpg

Perhaps I will see if I can find a temp way to attach it to something, maybe the rubber band idea or something.

Back
Top Bottom