driftwood in my tank it eventually starts to smell and get soft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Ray

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this question but here goes: Every time I put driftwood in my tank it eventually starts to smell and get soft. These pieces are all store bought approved for aquarium use. Any one else have this problem or know why this happens to me? I love the look of a nice piece of wood in the tank but this shouldn't be happening...right? ....mr ray

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this question but here goes: Every time I put driftwood in my tank it eventually starts to smell and get soft. These pieces are all store bought approved for aquarium use. Any one else have this problem or know why this happens to me? I love the look of a nice piece of wood in the tank but this shouldn't be happening...right? ....mr ray

No this isn't the right place to ask, but oh well. ;)

The wood you are using is just probably too soft. Try to find some Malaysian / Mopani labelled wood which is very hard and also sinks easily.

Thanks Tim, I haven't tried that type of wood yet. that I remember anyway. Will try to post in right forum from now on...

Back
Top Bottom