driftwood; physical trauma to alpha longfin danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

totalnewb

Aquarium Advice Regular
My pride and joy alpha danio nearly killed himself twice today.
29 G planted, stocked 97%.+ . Values at 0, ph 7 although kh low. trying to get ph to 6.6-6.8. temp 80.

My alpha danio got himself stuck in a piece of driftwood today. His tail protruded, limp and unresponsive. don't know how long he was there. Had to pull him out (only option) and it seems he has suffered some physical trauma. All other danios hid during this ordeal. THEN THE IDIOT PROCEEDED TO DO IT AGAIN with another piece of driftwood within minutes of being released.
I know he grew fast as opposed to his mates, but really??? what?? He has been hiding under another piece of driftwood, that which was his fave hiding place when introduced, since the occurrence he has not come out.
There is visible trauma to his body. :bawl: Mottled(?) / discolored scales. look like scars.
Have added fin slime encouragement stuff but what else can i do?
Preventative antibiotics in QT?
His scales are compromised in a well stocked tank...

:thanks:

If you have a spare tank I would suggest setting him up in there. There will be a lesser chance of it getting infected in there.

That would be a good idea.

If you can't I'd try to do some more frequent water changes and perhaps adding some melafix or other natural meds to ensure that he heals properly.

I have an accident prone Betta that first had an impeller accident (don't ask) where he lost some fins and then after they were all grown back got himself stuck in dw thus losing a bunch of scales. He completely healed, so don't despair!

image-1848711523.jpg

I had to pull out the driftwood to extricate him. Horrible!

thanks everybody.
i was setting up an isolation tank when i noticed some behaviour that i really wasn't expecting. ... the other danios rallied around the injured alpha. one of them even had his tail draped over him! figured it might less stressful to leave him in the main tank.
i did buy some melafix. (thanks, first I've heard of it) and promptly added some to the main tank. However further reading on it left me leery. although i am not worried about oxygenation, does anyone know if...
- I can feed them or not?
- Is 7 days really necessary?
- I guess i'll have to use a carbon filter to remove it once the process is over... ? what about the sponge filter that i have cultivating in the tank?
any other advice about this stuff would be appreciated..

Back
Top Bottom