Driftwood question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garganoth

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I got a call asking if I wanted some driftwood from a friend. I wasn't prepared for hiw big it was..it weighs about 300 lbs and I put a rake next to it for size comparison. Hiwever, it was used in a saltwater aquarium for a long time. I want to cut it into sections and use it in my freshwater tanks. I'm going to soak it but is there going to be any issues from the salt water?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1396320862980.jpg
    1396320862980.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 1396320877480.jpg
    1396320877480.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 123
If you can clean it properly why not. It might leech salt out for a while tho

It's the salt I was worried about...you don't think it will be an issue?

Well, if you want to be safe I would soak it for a day in some water. And see if you can borrow a hydrometer or refracto meter and test the water, other than that. You can just soak it in water for a month or two and change the water out daily

Your question/answer is at the bottom of this link:

Driftwood Dos and Don'ts by Tom Haupenthal

There are a lot of folks that will collect driftwood found on the beach and use them in freshwater aquariums which is a similar situation. The biggest concern isn't the salt, but any toxins/parasites that may be in the wood (probably not an issue with yours). They generally prepare the wood by giving it a good soak for a couple of weeks. I honestly don't think there is a lot of salt in this wood.

Your question/answer is at the bottom of this link:

Driftwood Dos and Don'ts by Tom Haupenthal

There are a lot of folks that will collect driftwood found on the beach and use them in freshwater aquariums which is a similar situation. The biggest concern isn't the salt, but any toxins/parasites that may be in the wood (probably not an issue with yours). They generally prepare the wood by giving it a good soak for a couple of weeks. I honestly don't think there is a lot of salt in this wood.

It was originally kept in a 300 gallon saltwater aquarium for about 2 years along with about 50 lbs of lava rock...it was all pulled out and put into the garden. Then I got it and am going to start cutting it up. Thanks for the link I'll look into it.

Back
Top Bottom