Driftwood questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldfishNewbie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so I just bought a gorgeous piece of malaysian driftwood, and have been boiling it for a couple hours.
I read that the tanins don't hurt or bother the fish at all, is that true? (2 goldfish and a pleco)... I was thinking I'd add it and because my tank is still cycling I'm doing 50% water changes everyday anyways, would this be ok? or should I soak it for a week or so?...
I'm an impatient person:rolleyes:

if i buy driftwood thats been in a tank could i run the risk of adding disease or tannins?

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

thanks guys! you could definately risk adding disease... i would boil it if I were you, and maybe soak it for a week, just to be safe...
tannins, if it's been in a tank they're probably mostly gone, but even if they arent the boiling and soaking should get 90% of it.
and OhNeil1969 thanks! I heard driftwood can lower the ph too, not sure if it was the tannins or the actual wood... :O

GoldfishNewbie said:
thanks guys! you could definately risk adding disease... i would boil it if I were you, and maybe soak it for a week, just to be safe...
tannins, if it's been in a tank they're probably mostly gone, but even if they arent the boiling and soaking should get 90% of it.
and OhNeil1969 thanks! I heard driftwood can lower the ph too, not sure if it was the tannins or the actual wood... :O

it has anaubias on it what disease could driiftwood add?

well I'm just thinking if the fish had ich or some outbreak, it infects the whole tank and if not cleaned properly it could remain on the wood... Im no expert lol but I know that when you treat a tank for that stuff, you have to treat the decorations too

GoldfishNewbie said:
well I'm just thinking if the fish had ich or some outbreak, it infects the whole tank and if not cleaned properly it could remain on the wood... Im no expert lol but I know that when you treat a tank for that stuff, you have to treat the decorations too

yikes my lfs is actually really good never got ich from anything in their tanks

lol im so impaitent so waiting for iit to cure then sink itd kill me lol im lucky i have paitence for cycling only because iknow its best for the fish

ya, well I didn't know about proper care for fish when I got mine, so I can't even do fishless cycling, and I wish I could because then I would have time to get the tank to look pretty, but I just had to get whatever I could for the fish lol

Back
Top Bottom