Driftwood questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey Gang,

I have started the search for some decorations for my 90gal tank but have had a hard time finding some nice pieces of driftwood.

So my first question is where is a good place to buy it? Also what other types of wood can I use?

In my search ppl have warned me that the wood can turn my water brown and I wanted to know if there is a way around this?

I like the look of some plants growing off of the driftwood so that's why I started my search but now I wonder if its a good idea?

Also can plants grow off of rock? what type(s) of rock do you recommend?

Thanks for the input.

Jeff

Not sure where to get good pieces of driftwood in your area but I do know that most people soak their driftwood for anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks in a seperate bucket to get most of the color leakage out of the wood. I believe you can grow Java Moss on rocks...not sure what else.

I just bought a piece of driftwood from this company for my 55G. The piece you see is what you get. They give a description & size of each piece. https://www.driftwoodsupply.com/index.jsp

On rocks you can grow Java moss, Java fern & Ricca. Any type safe for a freshwater tank will work. I personally like petrified wood.

To get the tannins out of driftwood just soak it up to a week. You will not be able to get it all out but you can get most of it out so it won't cloud the water. Using boiling water is the best.

most of the anubias plants will look great on driftwood, especially nana and coffeeolia. your local waterways will have driftwood, but be aware of the areas level of pollution. if you're near LA, i wouldn't even consider looking locally. hehe...if you can get into the bohemian grove, i'm sure they have some nice redwood pieces.

you just never know with driftwood... someone might buy a piece and it sinks, doesn't cloud the water... someone else might get a piece and it could float and cloud the water for many weeks... When you're looking at them make sure you pick something you'll enjoy to look at. I have one small piece that my fish like, but I don't all that much... I always feel like I am being a salesman when I mention them, but it's not my intention, but I think coconut shells look cool in a tank... just my opinion... I don't think I have any good pics of them in tanks yet but there are a few pics in my gallery as well as in the classifieds under "coconut shells"... A lot of pet stores sell driftwood... as far as plants go it also depends on what you want to see in your tank... I think the java moss can look good on rocks and driftwood, but it can take over and then you'd barely see the object underneath... personally I like to see my driftwood so I try not to let that happen... Driftwood and plants are also good for your fish so you will all enjoy it... good luck and enjoy... setting up a tank is almost like painting a picture...

Honestly I wouldn't worry about the driftwood changing the colour of you water, in a couple of weeks (with regular water changes) the water will become clear again. Soaking it in a bucket just means you won't be able to put it in your tank for that period of time.

Soaking a large piece of driftwood for a couple of weeks, sure helps out when you go to add it to the tank. Nothing worse than having to re anchor a large piece of driftwood everyday, till it gets saturated and stays down.

I like to boil mine real well, then soak it before intruding it into a tank. Might want to boil your rocks as well to kill any critters and clean junk off them.

Personally, I would'nt worry about the brown water. As mentioned, with normal water changes, it will pass in a couple of weeks.

I was able to find good prices and some really nice pieces at a local rock quarry. Not all rock quarry carry the malaysian drift wood, but worth calling around. I was able to pick up a real nice center piece for about 5 bucks. I would rate it as a medium size pieces, About 18 inches tall, 4 inches wide, with about 3 braches towards the bottom of the piece.

I have been told that boiling driftwood leads to premature breakdown of the wood, and could potentially lead to even greater release of tannins/etc. due to denaturation of cell walls/etc. It seems to make sense, but it seems like an awful lot of people boil their drift wood. Any input?

-J

I put my wood in the sun for a few weeks then I just stick it in the bottom of my tank I never get brown water and as for sinking you just need to put something on top of it for a few days weeks depending on the size I get green allege on my wood it looks cool something out of the lord of the rings

Back
Top Bottom