Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Driftwood questions

Wanting to use driftwood in my new tank, but i cant find any locally. Are there any good places to buy some online? Is there a certain kind of wood that those of you who have expierence prefer? Also how bad can i expect the driftwood to taint my water? Will this just be initally, or will it be ongoing? And is there anything I can put in my filter to help or limit this?

Old 01-16-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to quadrider5953
the driftwood might taint the water for a certain amount of time but it wont be permanent. you can use activated carbon to try and get rid of the color or you may have to do several pwc.

for the other questions i cant help you becuase i really dont know the answers, but someone else will.

HTH

Kyle

Old 01-16-2006, 04:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I've gotten several peices of Malaysian Driftwood through DrsFosterSmith.com and have been very pleased with it. It's a darker wood that sinks immediately when placed in water. In addition I had minimal discoloration due to tannins.

Boiling driftwood before putting it in your tank will help it to sink faster, if it's not a variety that sinks immediately, and will also help reduce the tannins that will be released by the wood once in your tank.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I got some from Arizona aquatic gardens. Very good, sank quickly and very little color change to the water. They even sell it with java or anubius on it...
Old 01-16-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I, too, am currently using a big chunk of Malaysian. Very dark color. Sinks instantly. Very heavy.

Look here for a good selection: http://www.floridadriftwood.com/subcat.asp?0=200

Tree roots of any deciduous tree in your are would also work well. The roots are better suited to aquarium use than the rest of the plant. Tree Bark seems to work pretty well, but will need tied down some how.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
I have 15lb's+ of Mopani wood, and it doesn't taint the colour of my water.

I treat it simply by putting it in a bucket, filling the bucket with straight hot water from the tap, allow it to cool, dump the bucket, and refill with hot water again, allow to cool, and add it to the tank, process takes about 6hrs tops.

Last piece I cheated on, it wasn't even in a bucket for more then 1/2 hour before I yanked it, ran it under cold water and tied some plants to it and placed it in the tank.

The warmer your water, the faster it will leech out into the tank.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

azgardens.com has driftwood too that is quite nice.

Tags
drift, driftwood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com