Driftwood Search

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon tank with an angel, 2 tetras, and 2 sharks. I'm looking for some nice driftwood. I went to the pet store and they only had little pieces of malasian wood for a lot of money.

I have a little creek near my house. Is it safe to find and cure a piece from the creek? Has anyone ever done this?

I think it depends on what type of wood it is. I know you don't want to put in any sort of pine. If you do get it out of your creek, make sure you boil it WELL. I would also recommend that you get wood that has already sunk to the bottom, instead of floating wood. I tried to sink a piece of wood and gave up after about a month of it not sinking. If you want a good place to buy your wood, I bought mine from www.aquariumdriftwood.com I got a VERY nice piece of wood from them. Good luck!!

Do a search on e bay for "driftwood". I lurked there for about three weeks when trying to find that perfect piece for my tank. Theres a lot of buy it nows if you look around. I scored a large piece for 6 bucks, shipping was 9 bucks. A piece this size would have cost me 50-60 bucks locally. Total bargain and its that perfect piece I was looking for.

Also, if you look around on ebay. Many people desinfect and cure the driftwood where its safe for fish and reptiles ( I still boiled and soaked mine). Worth considering.

www.DrsFosterSmith.com has real nice driftwood.
They carry real and artificial driftwood to select from.

The price depends on how big of a piece you want.

6"-9" $6.99
9"12" $8.99
12"18" $11.99
18"-24" $16.99
24"-36" $29.99

Hope This Helps :D

I have several pieces of malasian drift wood like Foster & Smith sell. It sinks well and is very dark. I boiled it for 4 hours and soaked it for a week. It still colors my tank a little. Be aware that wood will lower your hardness and PH. I put 2 pieces in my 50 gl and had to take one out because it lowered my ph so my co2 stopped working due to lower ph.

I recently purchased driftwood from AquariumDriftwood.com. I was very pleased with the driftwood. I ordered a standard centerpiece for a 55g. It is about 18 inches in length, 12 inches high, and 4 inches thick. At first I thought it was too large, but a little manuvering and it fit perfect. They only ship on Mondays. You may have to leave a message and they will return your call, but it is worth the money.

Back
Top Bottom