Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Driftwood - tap water or conditioned?

I just got a new piece of wood and was wondering if I should soak it in conditioned water or just tap water.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1796528899.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	198436  

Old 09-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Boil it for at least one hour and brush any dirt accumulation. Let it dry out and then soak in dechlorinated water.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wont change anything is you treat water or not. Personally I don't treat water for soaking objects.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello meese...

Boiling will soften the fibers in the piece and it will come apart much sooner then if you simply fill a 5 gallon bucket with your replacement water and add a tablespoon of standard aquarium salt and soak the piece for a day or two and then rinse it well in some more of your new water.

The chance of bacteria being introduced to your tank is very remote, but they will not be able to survive the salt bath.

B
Old 09-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok thanks
Old 09-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Be prepared for wood to leach some colour into the water. Turns it brown or yellow, and while carbon can remove most of that, fish generally like it. Water changes dilute it, and over time it does get less and less. But it takes quite a long time for some wood to stop leaching completely.

I have soaked some pieces in water with bleach, to lighten the colour a bit and speed up leaching. I then rinse well, and soak for a day or two in well dechlorinated water, just to be careful. I've soaked some pieces for up to six months and still had them turn the bucket water dark, though it takes longer each time I change the water. Bleach also stops the soaking water from getting smelly, if you leave it for a long period of time, but it's not necessary, just a tool I use for some wood pieces. Bleach is a good disinfectant of course, and salt would work as well for that, as was said.

Tags
driftwood, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com