Driftwood woes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been soaking a piece of driftwood for over a month now. It still leaks tannins, but that's not really my problem. It also sinks now, which is cool, because at first I basically had to tie it to an anvil to keep it down.

My problem is with all the sediment coming off of it in the soaking pot. When I take out the wood to take a close look at it, I can scrape my nail accross it and get a lot of gunk or wet wood off of it. I'm wondering if you figure there's a way to solve this (steel wool or something?), or if this piece of wood is a dud. Or, should I just stick it in my tank and get that stuff out on water changes until it stops?

TIA

well me personally i wouldnt do all that lol!!!!! if i did and i had it for a month hell ya i would throw it right in to that tank!!!!!!!!!! well depending on if the wood junk flaked on into the aquarium that is!!! im just a beginner so i hope i helped you a little bit!!!!

just use a NEW scrub thing..and lighty scrub each part to just get the gunk and grim off ....other then that it will be fine

Yes, that's a good idea. I got a new vegetable scrub brush and scrubbed my wood with it. It "flaked" off in the bucket too, but scrubbing seemed to work.

when i got my wood in late november i shot them off with a hose then boiled each of the three pieces for 12 hours. i kept 2 pots going. i changed the water every 45 minutes and it took 15 minutes to boil a fresh pot so in total it took 24 hours. after that was done i let them sit in a bucket of water and changed it once a day for 5 days until it was clear. then i shot them off with a hose before putting them in the tank. even after all that they still leaked tannins until last month (mightve been earlier). little pieces fall off every now and then but i just suck them up with the gravel vac. some ppl scrub with scouring pads and some ppl use a high pressure hose but i just used my hands.

Yipes. Good advice all. I wish I had a pot that was even half as tall as this wood is long, but oh well. I'll try to scour it and see how that goes.

i had small wood :D but when i get a bigger tank i'll have that problem as well :(

Back
Top Bottom