Dropped fish feeder in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

polerz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 640L 1.8mx.6mx.6m vertical aquarium tank with fresh water fish.
I have two air filters and two air pumps which connect to stones aerating the water at the bottom.

Today I came home and the automatic fish feeder which I baught, had fallen in. I panicked and immediately began to fish it out with a fishing rod I had found lying in the garage. I sticky taped a net to the end of the fishing rod and fished it out. I grazed my arm in the process. The tank water is brand new and I just got it right a few days ago. (PH, hardness etc.)

My concerns are:
a) The fish feeder contains many electrical components, not to mention batteries, who knows how long it was sitting in there, would this of harmed fish/water in my tank? The PH is still ok I checked it before.

b) The graze had specs of blood in it, which I did not notice as I was more concerned with getting the fish feeder out. So I suspect some dead skin and blood fell into the tank (not much tho). What impacts would this have?

c) the sticky tape, would that be harmful? :\

There are 4 fish, a gold fish and 3 others which look like gold fish but are white hahah. I'm no fish expert.. as you can tell.

Will my tank be ok? :(

a) The fish feeder contains many electrical components, not to mention batteries, who knows how long it was sitting in there, would this of harmed fish/water in my tank? The PH is still ok I checked it before.
The electrical component's are inert and won't cause a problem in themselves
b) The graze had specs of blood in it, which I did not notice as I was more concerned with getting the fish feeder out. So I suspect some dead skin and blood fell into the tank (not much tho). What impacts would this have?
None in reailty
c) the sticky tape, would that be harmful? :\
No
There are 4 fish, a gold fish and 3 others which look like gold fish but are white hahah. I'm no fish expert.. as you can tell.

Will my tank be ok? Sad
Yes

The only thing I'ld be concerned about is the fish feeders contents, the excessive food will cause an ammonia spike, it would be best to give a 25% water change and try to suck up as much of the food as you can.

nah no food fell out of it, as when I pulled it out the thing was still full. I tested ammonia levels and it was in between 0 and .25 ppm, very low. That could be because the tank is new and the bilogical filters haven't kicked into gear yet?

WHen cycling the water, do I just re-add tap water and then treat it (PH, hardness), or do I have to treat the water first and then add it?

Will 25% of the tank offset the PH/hardness levels?

Yup, your tank is still cycling.
Check out these articles about the nitrogen cycle.
http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

You should monitor the cycle by testing the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate at least every other day. Be prepared to do a water change if the ammonia goes above 0.25 ppm.
Just don't add anymore fish until you see nitrates AND ammonia and nitrites are 0 for a few days in a row.

When adding tap water, try to get the temp as close to what is already in the tank. The only additive you really need is a dechlorinator. You can add it before or during the addition of the fresh water.

Messing around with the pH and hardness usually leads to trouble, and really isn't necessary unless you're keeping African lake cichlids.

thanks alot for that, thats a huge help. I dont have a nitrate test kit, I only have a PH, hardness and ammonia test kit hehe. I also dont have dechlorinator, might have to get that.

One last question about my tank, its 640L, and its about 6foot high, all I have for filtration is 2 of these: http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=HG10175

and a few air stones at the bottom keeping the water aerated. I cant put in a cannister filter, as I have no room for it, I also cant put in a hangon power filter as my tank is round and it doesnt sit right.

Any other suggestions? Or do I have adequate filtration.

Filtration is really dependant on load, your current filters won't allow you to fully stock the tank (I assume it's about 160Gal) (6' high??? I gotta see a pic of this)

Adding another 2 would get you to sufficient filtration. Tho I don't see this as practical. a cannister would be the only real way to get the filtration up to par IMO.

Back
Top Bottom