Dual fx5 filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knutsen1122

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently picked up a second fx5 for my 100g tank and I'm wondering if anyone has ever run 2 of them in a series before? Is this even possible or worth it? The reason I would like to do this is, my tank is acrylic and only has 2 holes in the top along the back. I would like to avoid drilling more holes. Any advise would help. Thanks!

1 should be fine for a 100g. what were you're thoughts around why you wanted/needed 2?

Hi. Had to look up the Fx5. What a beast of a filter, recommended for up to 400g. However I usually halve the manufacturers figures for a filter in use with debris inside it. Even so, one filter should be plenty for your tank. Are you running the tank at 100% stocking or higher?
I run two filters on my tank, which is over filtered, because I like to clean them alternatively which removes the small risk of a mini cycle when cleaning a single filter. So I can see why you might want to run two filters.
My gut feeling says that they are not designed to be run in series and you might experience some syphoning/pressure problems. I suppose, failing a post from someone who's done it, you could try it and see.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I run an fx5 and an fx6 on my 150. I wouldn't run them in series either. With intakes on both sides it increases water movement which is beneficial. You also would probably have issues with refilling the filters after cleaning them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom