Dull cardinal tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skibum3

Aquarium Advice Activist
So today I bought 4 cardinals for my 50 gallon freshwater tank. (I already have 10 cardinals and 8 regular neons) and I noticed that at the shop the red stripe was very dull. I figured that they would brighten up after I put them in my tank but they haven't!
They have been in the tank for 6 hours now. They are swimming around and acting normally.
In the picture then neon is on top, bright red, and the cardinal is on the bottom.. Faded and dull.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403044863.688728.jpg

I have 7 neon tetras, but the same applies for cardinals. The colour vibrancy can be dependant on many things.

Assuming they aren't all i'll, if you only recently got them, the colour will fade due to being transported and rehoused due to stress. All other things being equal. The colour should come back as they grow accustomed to the new environment.

Also, lfs will feed them cheap or regular flakes. Which is ok to keep them alive, but not to thrive. Live or frozen foods once or twice a week in place of flakes or pellets during feed time also help with the colour.

In combination with good quality pellet or flake food (I use new life spectrum, its more expensive, but you get what you pay for) also helps.

Good water conditions and places to hide and investigate all help with alleviating the stress of the fish.

All these things in combination all help with the colour vibrancy of neons and cardinals. A happy cardinal is a colourful cardinal.

Alright thank you so much. They do seem a little brighter than at the store. I'll feed them some live food tomorrow

Give them time and keep your water as food as you can

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It took my pale PetSmart Harlequin Rasboras a week to start brightening and then another week or two to get super amazing. The food matters a lot. New Life Spectrum worked better than Cobalt, or anything at PetSmart (and it keeps my tank cleaner).

Thanks I will look into buying some of that!!! Good to know they will eventually brighten up...

Omega 1 works nicely, as does Hikari. Btw top fish looks like a neon, the red stripe doesn't extend all the way? Not sure about bottom

Okay thank you and yes the one on top is a neon and the one underneath is a super dull cardinal haha

Agreed with above posters that 6hrs is too little time to expect a huge improvement. When they've been going through the stress of the fish store, getting rehomed, and likely hadn't been on a high quality food before, that's a lot of stress and nutritional issues to overcome just with a few hours. I wouldn't start to worry unless they're still dull after a week. Just be patient, take care of them, and they'll reward you :)

Agreed with above posters that 6hrs is too little time to expect a huge improvement. When they've been going through the stress of the fish store, getting rehomed, and likely hadn't been on a high quality food before, that's a lot of stress and nutritional issues to overcome just with a few hours. I wouldn't start to worry unless they're still dull after a week. Just be patient, take care of them, and they'll reward you :)

They are looking a little bit brighter! Although still not nearly as red as my neons. Unfortunately I woke up and one of them was dead although he looked fine yesterday. What would I have to do if they're still dull after a week?

They are looking a little bit brighter! Although still not nearly as red as my neons. Unfortunately I woke up and one of them was dead although he looked fine yesterday. What would I have to do if they're still dull after a week?

Feed better food, do a PWC, or just throw some steroids and hope it works (no don't, please). 2 things might have happened with your cardinal. 1, is that it might have just been bad stock, like inbreeding, hormone injections, etc. Also, fish just sometimes die, for no reason. Happened to a cory of mind :l

Okay i am feeding bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp. Anyone know of a good flake food that enhances colour? And it's so annoying I feel like it's such a waste of money when that happens :(

If they're still dull after a week then they're either sick or from very poor genetics... If the latter, they'll never get very bright. If the former, hopefully they'll brighten up once they're cured.

Back
Top Bottom