Dumb Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff6.0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, after looking at tens of bettas on line and in my Local Pet Stores, I finally found one for me.

I have a healthy established 10 gallon with a long arm shrimp, 3 neons and two nerite snails and a couple of live plants. Fearing conflicts, I found a home for the shrimp and the neons and put my Betta in the tank with the snails. So he's the only fish.

It's been four days now and I don't know what's up with this Betta. He spends most of the time hiding in one of the Anubias Nana plants. He also doesn't seem to understand the concept of feeding. He will eat but I have to be lucky. I have to wait for a rare moment when he's out and at the top of the tank... and then sometimes after dropping food right on his head, he doesn't seem to notice the food and it just floats away.

As far as I can tell he is healthy. Could it be that all he knows is the bowl and now that he's in the tank he's lost?

I would like him to swim around and come to food.... like a fish.

Any Ideas would be helpful, Thanks.

The tank is at Ph of 7.5 and there's a slight current. Light level is medium and lights are on 10 hours a day. Temp is at 78*.

Maybe turn off everything and lower water level to 1/3 of tank and wait a while til acts normal then add more wait then add more til full then turn ov everything

That's a good idea and I might have to do that.

I have tall drift wood and there's all sorts on micro biology living on it. I'm thinking if I do that I should move the water to a container and then put the wood in there with an air stone to keep it alive. Or should i cut my losses, let it die and just wash all the dead stuff of the drift wood when it's time to put it back in?

You ever consider getting a divider and another male betta? It can be healthy for bettas to flare once in a while.

Make sure they can hide from eachother if they need to.

Where did you get your betta? A petstore fish is usually used to pellets or flakes but a fish from a breeder may be used to live foods or frozen foods only. Some of my fish will not touch commercially prepared foods. They just don't like it or don't know what it is. lol

You ever consider getting a divider and another male betta? It can be healthy for bettas to flare once in a while.

Make sure they can hide from eachother if they need to.
\

I agree that bettas need to display sometimes. He's been flaring up at his own reflection in the glass. In fact he's bounced of the glass a few time tring to get at "the other betta".

Where did you get your betta? A petstore fish is usually used to pellets or flakes but a fish from a breeder may be used to live foods or frozen foods only. Some of my fish will not touch commercially prepared foods. They just don't like it or don't know what it is. lol

I have offered him flakes, pellets and freeze dried worms. He has eaten all of these but I had to time it just right. He's not actively looking for food.

How long have you had him?
It's normal for them to take quite a while to get used to their new homes and they can go up to 3 weeks without food no problem. So he may just be stressed from the move.
I can't tell you how many times I've imported and they won't eat for weeks, and that's with them going overnight both trips (from Thailand to Transhipper & Transhipper to me) so if you shipped him, that could also be a problem.

If he is long finned then you probably won't see him move much anyways. My halfmoon plakats are extremely active but my big ears and half moons don't move much unless they are snail hunting, eating, or going up for air.

I've had him four days. I purchased him at a local pet store but they had just received their shipment. He was the best out of at least 50 that they had. He was lively in his bowl at the store so I wasn't concerned.

He's a a Delta and yes he's long finned. I don't have a photo of him but this fish is very similar in shape...

I will give him some more time to get used to his new home.

I will post an up date.

Thanks for all the good advice, guys! :)

No he's dark blue with blood red streaks in the fins. The fin are outlined in black as well. I found his coloration particularly striking.

No he's dark blue with blood red streaks in the fins. The fin are outlined in black as well. I found his coloration particularly striking.

Would love to see a pic I have pics of mine in an album I have 7

Back
Top Bottom