Dumb Betta question or dumb betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 8 female Betta's in my 55 gal, as you can see in my signature I have a Emporer 400, I catch my female Betta's "sucked" up against the filter intake, I have watched them and can't figure out what they are doing. When I "reach" for them they just swim away like "I don't think so". Is this srtange or should I look for the same behavior in all my Betta's? I have a male in my 10 gal and when he brushes up against the filter intake it's like somebody stuck a match to him. It's strange, I know they are not sick, This one has been doing it for 3 weeks, once she was even upside down and I thought well thats that and reached for the net. I think they are messing with me.

If your worried about them getting hurt you can try wrapping or shaping a sponge around the intake, I don't know why they would do that though I thought bettas hated current.

Bettas actually live in very still water, and probably aren't used to the strong current in your tank. A lot of people who keep bettas turn the flow waaay down so as not to stress them...but obviously that isn't really an option for you given the amount of fish in your tank. You might be able to rig up some kind of cover for the intake so they don't hurt themselves on it.

Can you see any damage on the females after they have been stuck on the filter? I suspect not. I've seen other fish do the same thing. You think they are dead but when you reach for them they just swim away acting all upset that you disturbed them... lol.

I think your female is just taking a break from battling against the current in the tank (not ideal situation for bettas). The suction on the intake isn't very strong though. Put your fingers down there and you'll see what I mean so I doubt its hurting her. She just likes hanging out from time to time! If you see no damage I'd just enjoy your fishes unique personalities.... the lazy fish that they are... hehe. :lol:

No damage that I can see. I even turned the filter way down and they swim off for a minute and swim right back just as soon as I turn it back up. and then look at me like "whuut" lol.

Back
Top Bottom