dumb question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathanden

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is It ok to clean the out side of my tank with windex like dose it do anything to the silicone?

don't use windex, or any chemical for that matter, to clean the tank. If you have hard water spots, used a weak vinegar and water solution. Just water on a paper towel cleans my tanks pretty well.

they sell some stuff at Petsmart that is a spray bottle of window cleaner that is safe to use. Just spray on a rag and wipe it down then go over with a clean rag.

(I use regular pro strength cleaner because I have about 50 gallons of it (I wash windows as a side job) but I wouldn't recommend it, but if you do spray a small amount on the rag in another room so it doesn't get in the water and only use on outside)

The Petsmart stuff says its safe

I spray Windex on a paper towel and clean the outside glass if my tanks.

Sorry if this is wrong but been doing it from day one. I NEVER spray the glass directly, always on a paper towel.

I spray Windex on a paper towel and clean the outside glass if my tanks.

Sorry if this is wrong but been doing it from day one. I NEVER spray the glass directly, always on a paper towel.

That's exactly what do. I use zep commercial professional ammonia free. I just spray on rag in other room.

As long as you don't get any aerosolized droplets anywhere near the tank, I guess it would be ok. I just don't recommend it, because you can never be sure none of it is getting in the water. A vinegar and water solution cleans just as well as any windex or glass cleaner I've ever used, and if some gets in my tank, it will only temporarily drop the pH a little. I suppose if you're really careful, it would be fine, but I prefer not to risk it.

Back
Top Bottom