Dust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
K

Khabbral

I just brought home all my supplies for my new aquarium and I rinsed the small rocks really well and then put them in the tank, I then put water in it and it was full of dust or dirty. I can't see through the tank, the filter is in and I'm about to put the heater but I was just wondering how to clear it?

How or what did you use to clean the tank? By small rocks, do you mean the gravel? If you didn't clean everything well before adding your water, you may have to start over. From what you describe, it sounds like you do.

Yes, the gravel, it is kind of thin though, almost like sand, I think my dad cleaned it with windex, but he rinsed it off well.

There is no reason to use any detergents to clean the gravel. I would stop everything, take the gravel out and make sure all the detergents are gone. This may take some time but it may solve your water problem. Was the tank cleaned also in this manner?

THe gravel wasn't cleaned with it, only the tank, the gravel was just rinsed with water over and over.

No, only gravel. I don't know how the windex would cause this? Maybe I didn't rinse the gravel enough?

The only constant factor here is that your water quality is not what it should be for a tank that was just filled. The only solution is to get rid of the problem. If you have a syphon, the process will be a little easier. Did you add a de-chlorinator yet?

Hmm, de-chlorinator? I added a liquid that was to reduce chlorine, if this is it, then yes.

But if there are traces of Windex inside the tank won't it harm the fish? I don't even use cleaners on the outside of my tanks, much less the inside.

Back
Top Bottom