Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CharlieKlein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,487
Dwarf cichlid experience?

I'm starting a "dwarf based community tank and was hoping to hear success stories keeping semi aggressive fish! I would also appreciate if you could post a picture of your setup so I can know what kind of cover to provide

1 dwarf gourami
1 Bolivian ram cichlid
1 apistogramma
1 swordtail
1 guppie( wil he be eaten?)
2 bumblebee gobys
4 Pygmy Cory's
1 oto
7 cherry barbs
Any input would really help! Also I want to add a colony of 10 shrimp( ghost and cherry) and 3 nitrate snails
__________________

__________________
CharlieKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aquatic_Adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieKlein
I'm starting a "dwarf based community tank and was hoping to hear success stories keeping semi aggressive fish! I would also appreciate if you could post a picture of your setup so I can know what kind of cover to provide

1 dwarf gourami
1 Bolivian ram cichlid
1 apistogramma
1 swordtail
1 guppie( wil he be eaten?)
2 bumblebee gobys
4 Pygmy Cory's
1 oto
7 cherry barbs
Any input would really help! Also I want to add a colony of 10 shrimp( ghost and cherry) and 3 nitrate snails
Hi! A few things:
1. Bumblebee Gobys need brackish water so they probably don't have a place in that community.
2. What size tank?
3. Otos need a group of probably 4+ really.
4. I wouldn't add a shrimp community to the tank as they will most likely be eaten.
__________________

__________________
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left."
Aquatic_Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bud29's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In a van, down by the river
Posts: 3,673
Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predfan27 View Post
Hi! A few things:
1. Bumblebee Gobys need brackish water so they probably don't have a place in that community.
2. What size tank?
3. Otos need a group of probably 4+ really.
4. I wouldn't add a shrimp community to the tank as they will most likely be eaten.
I agree that with otos you probably want more than one. Also a tank size would be helpful. However, I think Ghost Shrimp would be OK in that tank as they are bigger and less likely to be eaten. Cherry shrimp would become dinner quickly, though. Also, there are two types of fish sold under the name "bumblebee gobies": one type is fully freshwater the other is brackish. You can tell the difference by looking at their stripes; the freshwater ones have complete stripes, while the brackish ones have "broken" stripes.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CharlieKlein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,487
29 gallon
__________________
CharlieKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CharlieKlein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,487
And I am positive the gobys are fresh due to their distinct stripes! Also 350b penguine filter
__________________
CharlieKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bud29's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In a van, down by the river
Posts: 3,673
Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
I think you would be overstocked if this is for a 29 gallon. This is a suggestion:

2 of the three: Dwarf gourami, Bolivian Ram, Apisto
7 Cherry Barbs
1 Guppy
2 Bumblebee Gobies
4 Pygmy Cories
3 Otos
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CharlieKlein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,487
I think bill do without the ottos and then do a swordtail, bn pleco, instead! Also, y only 2 of the 3
__________________
CharlieKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aquatic_Adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieKlein
I think bill do without the ottos and then do a swordtail, bn pleco, instead! Also, y only 2 of the 3
Well to me, I'd really only do one of the 3 but do a pair. You don't want to keep an Apisto with a Ram as there will be territory aggression, especially in a 29. You can do a Dwarf Gourami with one of those dwarf cichlids
__________________
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left."
Aquatic_Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bud29's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In a van, down by the river
Posts: 3,673
Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predfan27 View Post
You don't want to keep an Apisto with a Ram as there will be territory aggression, especially in a 29.
You can keep an apisto with a ram in a 29, just like you can keep 2 rams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieKlein View Post
I think bill do without the ottos and then do a swordtail, bn pleco, instead! Also, y only 2 of the 3
I said only 2 out of the 3 because IMO all 3 would be a bit too much.

Also, swapping 3 small otos with a pleco and swordtail is not an even change off. I would do just the BN pleco as it would stay in the same region of the tank as the otos would have.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CharlieKlein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,487
Hen Mabye I will do the ottos, but I am really wanting the swordtail
__________________
CharlieKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aquatic_Adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud29
You can keep an apisto with a ram in a 29, just like you can keep 2 rams.
I have to disagree with you there. A 29 is too small to keep an Apisto with a Ram. Both are territorial; with a 29 not giving enough room to create physical boundaries to reduce aggression.

I think you're better off with a male with 2 female Apisto trio or a male and female pair of Apisto.
__________________
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left."
Aquatic_Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CharlieKlein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,487
1 apisto
1 gbr
1 dg
1 swordtail
2 bumblebee gobys
4 Julii Cory
3 ottos
5 cherry barbs
1 guppy
I am going to try that. I cut down the cherrywood by 2 so I'd have room for a swordtail. Will the guppy be eaten? And aqadvisor has me at 100% with that, but I've heard that people say they are fine when aqadvisor is at 125% is that true?
__________________
CharlieKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bud29's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In a van, down by the river
Posts: 3,673
Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predfan27 View Post
I have to disagree with you there. A 29 is too small to keep an Apisto with a Ram. Both are territorial; with a 29 not giving enough room to create physical boundaries to reduce aggression.

I think you're better off with a male with 2 female Apisto trio or a male and female pair of Apisto.
Apistos are very very similar to rams. If it's OK to keep 3 Apistos together, why would it not be OK to keep 1 ram and 1 apisto? I have kept 2 different types of dwarf cichlids in a 29 gallon together and I had no aggression issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieKlein View Post
1 apisto
1 gbr
1 dg
1 swordtail
2 bumblebee gobys
4 Julii Cory
3 ottos
5 cherry barbs
1 guppy
I am going to try that. I cut down the cherrywood by 2 so I'd have room for a swordtail. Will the guppy be eaten? And aqadvisor has me at 100% with that, but I've heard that people say they are fine when aqadvisor is at 125% is that true?
The guppy wouldn't be eaten. I don't know, something about that seems overstocked to me, I think it's the swordtail. I really think nixing the swordtail would be a good move on your part, when full grown they take up quite a bit of space.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aquatic_Adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud29
Apistos are very very similar to rams. If it's OK to keep 3 Apistos together, why would it not be OK to keep 1 ram and 1 apisto? I have kept 2 different types of dwarf cichlids in a 29 gallon together and I had no aggression issues.
They are very similar. Rams were actually once named under the Apistogramma name. You can keep 3 Apistos together in a 29 as long as ONLY 1 of them is a male. If you had 2 males, there is not enough room to run away. I have 2 Apistos in a 29 at the moment. 1 male, 1 female and my male does not like her. I repeat, not enough room to run away. The best chance for keeping an Apisto and a Ram in a 29, would be to luck out and get them both females. But the drawback to that is that females are never as pretty colored as the males.

I do agree with you though about the stocking. Seems overstocked to me. I'd avoid the guppy and the swordtail.
__________________
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left."
Aquatic_Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CharlieKlein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,487
Then if I took out the guppy, even though its small would it still be overstocked? And how do guppys do alone? Should I add another? I really like the swordtail so if there is a way to incorporate it I would appreciate it!
__________________
CharlieKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bud29's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In a van, down by the river
Posts: 3,673
Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predfan27 View Post
They are very similar. Rams were actually once named under the Apistogramma name. You can keep 3 Apistos together in a 29 as long as ONLY 1 of them is a male. If you had 2 males, there is not enough room to run away. I have 2 Apistos in a 29 at the moment. 1 male, 1 female and my male does not like her. I repeat, not enough room to run away. The best chance for keeping an Apisto and a Ram in a 29, would be to luck out and get them both females. But the drawback to that is that females are never as pretty colored as the males.
but very often there is only a spar after being introduced to the tank, and then there is no aggression afterwards. There have been very few instances in which it hasn't worked out between them and it has worked so many other times. A 29 gallon is 30" long, 10 times the body width of a ram or apisto. Especially if there are several decorations or plants, there is plenty of room for territories to be set.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aquatic_Adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud29

but very often there is only a spar after being introduced to the tank, and then there is no aggression afterwards. There have been very few instances in which it hasn't worked out between them and it has worked so many other times. A 29 gallon is 30" long, 10 times the body width of a ram or apisto. Especially if there are several decorations or plants, there is plenty of room for territories to be set.
Well I suppose we're going to have to agree to disagree then.
__________________
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left."
Aquatic_Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aquatic_Adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieKlein
Well I think I'm going to try three
Here's my stock, that is 100% full on aqadvisor
1 dg
1 gbr
1 apisto
1 swordtail
2 bumblebee gobys
5 cherry barbs
3 otos
4 Pygmy Cory's
1 guppy
I've heard that some people have stocked seccessfully using aqadvisor at 125% stocked!?! If that's true I'd bump the Cory's and barbs up 2 each
Personally, I'd remove the DG, Swordtail, and Guppy if you bump those up. But, you do seem a little set in your ways. I hope everything works out for you.
__________________
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left."
Aquatic_Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CharlieKlein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,487
Sorry, here's what I absolutely want
1 dg
1 apisto
1 swordtail
1 gbr
5 cherry barbs
4 Cory's
The rest, although is not much, I am willing to change.
__________________
CharlieKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aquatic_Adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieKlein
Sorry, here's what I absolutely want
1 dg
1 apisto
1 swordtail
1 gbr
5 cherry barbs
4 Cory's
The rest, although is not much, I am willing to change.
I think you can try that. I do have some hesitations on the Apisto/GBR combo but it seems that there are some experiences where it had worked. Cichlids always have personalities and it depends on what those fish have. With the above stocking you can bump the Cory's up by at least 4 (presuming they are still the Pgymys).
__________________

__________________
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left."
Aquatic_Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cichlid, dwarf, dwarf cichlid, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.