Dwarf cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
My sunshine betta passed on a few days ago (depression/stress from the move and he was never a fan of being in a "big" tank) and now I have an empty tank sitting in the living room. I told my roommate I would have pretty and active fish in the tanks in the common areas and compared to my rainbow/danio planted tank twenty feet away from it... well, a male betta that was depressed didn't look too great.

Anyway, the plan was the galaxy danios/rasboras that my boyfriend would give me. I am just at my full with Asian fish in the 55g. So, I want to do South American or African fish. Maybe dwarf cichlids.

Kribensis look interesting. They are pretty, active, small, and best of all cheap and at every local shop around, so I get my pick. Would a 10g be alright for a pair? Or if I did just one, what could I put with him?

Im not so sure those would work in 10 gal... i know they are dwarfs.. but they can get up to 4-5 inches when fully grown if not mistaken....Im not aware of any cichlids that can be in a 10 gallon, let alone a 20 gal even...perhaps im off, but these guys are quite territorial, and even 2 in 20 gal could easily fight for territory.

I'd only keep shellies in a 10g. Multies, brevis, occies, etc. A 10g would be fine for breeding apistos, rams, kribs, etc... but not long term housing IMO

Oh, okay. Thank you. I keep seeing 20g minimum, so I thought I could stretch it. I will have to hit the shops again to see what is available.

I'm having the worst time figuring out something to do. I hate the limitations on a 10g, but I don't want to tear it down. Maybe something else then?

I'm with you on the rasboras, super cute little guys. I could get them all for free too... but I'm hard headed and want something else. I really want more cichlids. I might set up one of my other 10g for my boyfriend's rasboras (technically they are in the danio family), but that won't be for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom