Dwarf goramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darcy cole

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I've had three dwarf goramis in a 29 gallon tank since June..just recently they've started doing an odd dancing kissing maneuver and will chase each other about. I don't know if they are male or female and all three seem to be doing it. I just noticed today that they seem awfully interested in the bottoms of a couple of larger plant leaves....could they be getting ready to mate or lay eggs or are they fighting over a female or just fighting It just started in the last couple of days! Thanx if you can help

They're probably fighting. Gourami's make bubble nests like bettas do.

Honestly it depends on the gender. Only keep a m/ for f/f pair for less aggression.

If they're all brightly colored, they're all male. And yeah, they won't likely get along in close quarters. Even without a female to squabble over, they'll still try to defend a territory.

One is orange and two are bluish grey.. One of the greys is definitely more vibrant but the other one I swear it's color gets paler then quickly turns brighter and large dark spots appear!

I had 2 powder blue dwarf males in my 29g and one died within a few days after I added him. I noticed the bigger one always chased him around but thought they would sort out their areas after a day or 2. Now he is just going to be by himself but he seems happy.

I once had a Pearl with a silver gouramis and they were fine together but they can't be put with dwarfs. I was considering putting a sunset dwarf in there but I don't think I'll bother anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Male gouramis, similar to bettas, typically do not do well together. Females are much more mellow but are rarely seen for sale as they are quite drab in appearance compared to the males. Best thing to do would be to rehome two and just stick with one.

Back
Top Bottom