Dwarf Gouamri disease... Cure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sly_Fra

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

Looking for new addition to my tank, and I am a long time lover of the Dwarf Gourami. Yet the only ones available within 400 miles from where I live are Singapore Imports. Now this nice article on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_gourami clearly says that getting Dwarfs from there will eventually end unp in Dwarf Gourami Disease (iridovirus : http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/disease-prevention/fish-viral-disease.aspx) A disease just like we like them... fatal, uncurable, highly contagious...

But a few weeks ago I learned about the Indian Almond Tree Leaves, their anti-parasite, anti-bacterial and anti-virus virtues, their ability to relax fish, the bast way to keep happy and healthy fish. And those I can get locally!

Now now, can this magical leaf cure or prevent the Dwarf Gourami Disease...???

Anybody knows, or has experience, I would love to know, either one way or the other.

Thanks

Welcome to AA :) DG disease is not very common... at all. I have only seen maybe 1 possible dg disease case on here. That being said, there is no known cure from what i've been able to read. you could almost compare it to cancer i guess.

Thanks, but surprised... All I read elsewhere was saying the this was a commun disease, and DG were to be avoided. In my past life (before the kidz too so much time that the tank became uncared for... and therefor disapeared for 5 years!) I often tried DG, and they always dies the same way: swelling belly, low energy leaning by the bottom of the tank, eventually dying regardless of my attemps. I was too stupid back then to realize Internet and Forums could help...! But nonetheless, all symptoms of the Iridovirus.

If others have experience, I'll be happy to read about them.

I read indeed no known cure, but then when I read about the Almond leaves, I started either hoping or dreaming...:rolleyes:

Thanks for any additional info guys,

DG are very susceptible to diease in their first 6 months. After that they tend to be very healthy and diease tends to be rare.

I lost one DG for no reason after a few months of having them. I had IAL's in the tank, and they didn't help. I do use IAL's with my bettas, and it helps keep them calm. :)

Too bad for your loss despite the IAL...

For my planted (pretty well planted, including surface plants) 33gal, can I put (with the calming effects of the IAL) 2 couples of Dwarves (assuming they don't get sick...), or is it guaranteed war zone between the males? The tank is quite well divided in 2 territories...

Lol. A whole threAd about them too....color me retarted.:smilecolros:

BAHAHAHAAAAAAAA! Haha! I almost fell out of my chair!

33G's should be enough for 2 DG's, but if one starts looking listless, they will need to be seperated. My one DG always harrasses my other fish, but they are fast enough, and have enough hiding spots to stay away. ;)

Back
Top Bottom