Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuck

Aquarium Advice Freak
Could I keep a dwarf gourami in my 15gal planted tank? Currently it has cherry shrimp, 6 neons and 3 harlequins.

I was going to add a Betta but might switch to a dwarf gourami if that's an option? I've read conflicting things on the Internet some say you can keep a single male some say they need to be kept in pairs. I read that a 10g is fine for dwarfs, ive also read that they are peaceful, and they are aggressive, and they eat shrimp, and they dont eat shrimp, that they will eat any plants in your aquarium.. I don't know. Advice please :)

Mine don't eat my plants, they will pick at the algea on the plants tho and ive had a few plants floating around before and seen him pick at the roots. I tried to introduce a new gourami after already having the one in my tank it didn't work out so I took the new one back. Mine doesn't attack any of my fish, I've fed him dead RCS but never threw a live one in yet to see if he will or will not eat it. Will try this out once my RCS are breeding.

How big are your tanks? :) good to know they don't eat plants or live shrimp :p but did you say yours will eat dead ones?

There is no guarantee they won't eat live shrimp. It will depend on the individual gourami whether it will or won't. Just because one person's doesn't eat live shrimp doesn't mean someone else's won't. And even if adult shrimp are left alone baby shrimp will be eaten if they can be caught.

How big are your tanks? :) good to know they don't eat plants or live shrimp :p but did you say yours will eat dead ones?

I have a 20g community, yeah when I first got my rcs I didn't acclimate them well so I had some die off and I would throw them in the 20g for the fish to eat, the cories and gourami loved it. I don't keep any shrimp in my 20g, they have their own tank.

There is no guarantee they won't eat live shrimp. It will depend on the individual gourami whether it will or won't. Just because one person's doesn't eat live shrimp doesn't mean someone else's won't. And even if adult shrimp are left alone baby shrimp will be eaten if they can be caught.

Yeah I don't mind the babies being eaten just didn't want the adults disappearing. But back to the main question could I keep a single or pair in a 15g planted? Or should I stick with the Betta?

It's usually a hit or miss when keeping more then one dwarf gourami sometimes they get along sometimes they don't I personally would just do the one with the other fish you have. But it's up to you, you can try it and it may work out or they might fight just make sure you have a new home for the second gourami if they do fight. Usually adding them at the same time reduces their chance of fighting.

Back
Top Bottom