Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrgolfball

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just purchased 3 Dwarf Gouramis from the local pet shop. they have established whos corner is whos but one of the females has a nasty streak and likes to pick on the male. I think she likes him ( it's like junior high all over again) Is there any thing I should be worried about or will he be alright. She keeps nipping at his fins and he runs and hides. ANy thoughts...

I would bring back the nippy female. Gouramis can get aggressive with each other especially when only having 2 or 3. It is best to have 1 gourami per tank though, they generally don't bother other types of fish.

Also, gouramis are territorial, I would advise for decorations and planted AND floating plants (real or fake)

my tank

is ia a 20 gallon with 5 platies and a cory cat, I am goig to expand and get some more cory cats, as well as the three gouramis that I have in there

You aren't bringing any back and you're getting more, is that right? It might help but it can also get worse with the aggression.

dwarf gourami

I am not sure what you mean... I ahven't taken any of them back to the store yet, I was hoping the male would establish his own territory and fight back...

Gourami Update

I ahve just noticed that my Dwarf Gourami Th Male) has some of his fin missing on his underside. It looks like bone sticking out, i saw a couple in the pet shop with similar problems but when I picked mine I made sure he did not have that kind of Dilema. I though it might be Ich but it is not really small salt like spots, I am not really sure what it is. My biggest worry is that it will infet my otrher happy fish. I don't have a breeding or quarentine tank yet so I am not sure what to do. I am going to call the pet shop in the morning and see what they recomend, but Ideas are always helpful.

Mike

if it is ICH i know what your going thru my stupid hatchet fish brought ich into my aquarium!!! i hate hatchetfish now!

Back
Top Bottom