dwarf gourami aggressive?? help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blipblop

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i bought two dwarf gouramis to start my 10g hex and i have used bio spira and all. I've had them in for about 4 days and i only noticed it today, one of them seem to be more passive than the other and the "aggressive" one seems to always be chasing the other one around and trying to bite its tail.. help!!! what's going on? i don't want anone to die =(

Gouramis tend to be a little aggressive towards their own kind, especially if they are 2 males. It is suggested only 1 male per tank, but one thing that can lower or stop the aggression is getting 3 gouramis instead of 2. 1 usually will overpower the other, as with what is happening with yours. Either bring one back or try getting 1 or 2 more and see what happens. Gouramis usually will not kill each other but will bite off parts of the fins.
None of my gouramis has ever killed another, all the gouramis in my big tank are usually peaceful towards each other, except sometimes there is some nipping.

Most of the time when you have 2 or more of the same fish, one will become dominate. My gouramis chase all the time but don't do any damage to each other. Give them a chance to settle in. If one starts showing physical damage you may need to take one back. :D

ARGH! how am i suppose to bring one back! blahhh i dun want it to die arghhh ok i think i'm just gonna bring one back.

Good idea to bring one back. I have had some incredibly aggressive DGs so don't underestimate them.

I had 3 Paradise Gouramis in a 10g and it just didn't work out. The aggression was spread out, but it never stopped. None of them could catch a break.

Do you know what gender they were ringfinger? Male Paradise Gouramis should not be kept together, they can fight like male bettas, in case you didn't know that.

how am i suppose to bring them back? i don't have the plastic bag anymore =( this sucks, i think they're gonna go back today, which one should i keep? the aggressive on or the passive one?

Use a Zip-Loc bag - that will be fine if the trip is short, or you could even use a tupperware type container.

I'd bring back the aggressive one - I have had DGs kill all of his tankmates (tetras, white clouds) so some are more aggresive than others. The passive one could decide to be aggressive once the other one is gone, so keep an eye on him and how he relates to future tankmates.

Back
Top Bottom