Dwarf gourami in pairs or single?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A pair would be suitable depending on the tank size. They are not as aggressive as other species but they are shy feeders.

So there is some debate on this, I had 3 males everything went super good! One died of bacteria, the two left started fighting and never stopped until one died.. The last one turn psycho and chased all my other fish around, went up and down swimming in the tank.. I ordered 2 females and now all has been good for a few months :) so basically, in my experience, it depends on what "personality" your gouramis have,
Some people say if you get 5+males they create a hierarchy and things settle out aggression wise.. Some say never more than 1 male .. As stated above you have to stick with what is okay with your tank size :)
Edit: I have absolutely no aggression problems with them now and they are with all types if fish from kribs to guppies :)

Unless you have a large tank with lots of plants and hiding places I would just get one. It's not worth the hassle of having to return one. I returned the bullied one of a pair (should have returned the bully) and it went after the next biggest fish in the tank.

The are encouraged to be purchased as a pair but you may end up regretting it.

Well I have a 90 gallon and was thinking about getting 1-3 of them. I've kept gourami's of most breeds before but not dwarfs.

It really depends on the gourami. They're pretty varied in personality. They like having their own space, but are also incredibly shy fish. A 90g should fit three of them, as long as they get their space. What other fish?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have noticed a huge personality variance in the few dwarf gouramis I have had, one was incredibly shy, one was pretty chill, and the one I have now is incredibly mean, and picks on the gold gourami twice his size. I would give each gourami 15-20 gallons of room each.

I have a gold, dwarf, and paradise in a 30, and they chase each other quite a bit, but at night they all hang out together.

As much as people can tell you to expect from a certain fish, there's always that unpredictable individualism.

I would add them at the same time, if you do one then the other the second will be seen as an intruder most likely.

Here is my pearls, with the 1:3 m-f ratio I have found harmony in my tank. They spend all their time following each other around and are completely opposite of shy.

Just to show how their personalities can be different from the norm.

Nice looking gourami you got there. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks, that picture doesn't do them justice will try to get better ones. They are so **** active its hard to get a still shot.

Back
Top Bottom