Dwarf gourami not eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitchfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
My dwarf gourami that I have had for like three weeks has been spitting out food over and over and over. Once he spits it out and tries to eat it after five times he will give up or a tetra will get it. I dont really know what to do about it. I feed NLS 1mm community pellets.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: about 10

Try soaking it in tank water before feeding to soften it it up a bit or try a smaller pellet

Yeah, you could soften it up for him first. Or you can soak it in a product called garlic guard (I think it's called?) made by seachem and he'll definitely eat it then.

The only downside is his breath will stink :D lol

I have already tried soaking it to he still cant eat it. So will he eat .5 mm pellets

They might be a better size for him, although he should be able to eat the 1 mm, because I had one that did.

Although he has survived for 3 weeks so idk lol. maybe he has to get used to them more or something?

If he's still not eating it after three weeks I would introduce something else as well. You could do something as simple as flake, or try Hikari Betta Bio Gold. Dwarf gouramis love it. Not sure exactly what size they are, but they are very small. Or another smaller pellet. Or frozen foods. They are carnivores so bloodworms and/or brine shrimp would be a good addition to their diet.

Last edited:
Ive done bloodworms, just not lately, I will start doing them more often again. Maybe he will start getting used to them. Otherwise I guess I will downsize the food.

Back
Top Bottom