Dwarf Gourami possible bully?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJ_117

Aquarium Advice Activist
For those who saw my thread on the three fish I had that died, another fish is now in bad shape.

This guppy seems to have his tail torn, and I'm thinking the culprit is my DG. The DG has his hiding spots and the guppies never really ventured into it, which is making me question this. Are DGs usually fin nippers/aggresive towards other fish? I've always read that they are peaceful. Also, does my guppy have any chance? Rn he's in a QT that I'm dosing with Melafix. He seems to have a hard time swimming, occasionally floating to the bottom only to swim back up.

I have a DG in a 20 long with cories and much to my surprise, he's kind of an a-hole. I had always heard they were peaceful too, but he can be a real bully, especially around feeding time. I'm not an expert but it's my experience they can be aggressive. Maybe it just depends on the fish? Sorry about your guppy. I hope he recovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had a powder blue dwarf gourami that literally tore up my neon tetras when they became weak and started moving slow. He attacked when he had a chance too and eventually killed 5 in one day. They were sick from something else but he finished them off. He would usually be aggressive but never been able to catch them. Idk if this answers your question really but DG's are a-holes

Dwarf gourami can be territorial. You just got a bully.

The only other thing I can think of is it might be my pristella tetras, I always heard that they were fin nippers. But this gourami has been in the tank for a while, so maybe he's not welcoming newcomers?

What if I put him in a QT tank for a few weeks, changed around the layout of the tank a bit (I was gonna do that anyways), and then put him back in? Would that work?

Dwarf Gourami can be territorial and aggressive towards their tankmates, especially towards other Dwarf Gourami. It depends upon their personality too. If you are looking for gourami that are a little more peaceful, Honey Gourami and Chocolate Gourami are really good for community tanks, in my experience.

If I made a cave specifically for him, would that help at all? I'd rather try not to get rid of him because he's a beautiful fish, but if I must then would a Pearl Gourami work?

AJ,
Did you decide what to do? I think it's getting to the point where I may have to do something about my bully DG too. Let me know how it goes. I'd be bummed if I had to take my DG back.

Right now the bullying seems to have stopped, but in keeping an eye on him

My dg seems to be hiding in the plants a lot, not really coming out too often. Is this normal? I've always heard they were shy. Maybe that's why he was aggressive towards the others; they were near his territory

mine was a bit of a jerk but mainly only towards my angel and male platy.

The Angel and him used to go at it all the time when venturing. Nothing to crazy just chasing really.

Back
Top Bottom