Dwarf Indian Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have experiance with these fish?

Their just so darned cute!

I was tempted, but I'm not going to impulse buy one and regret it later, so can I get suggestions, experiance, or anything about the DIP and how it may do in a community tank with mostly docile fish?

Hi William,

What kind of "Docile" fish do you have?

Dwarf Indian Puffers are notorious fin nippers, and although they are only one inch long they chase larger slower fish all the time.

I've got 9 relatively large Tiger Barbs and they hold their own against the puffers.

If you have angels, gouramis, or any other fish with "yummy looking" fins, I would advise against it.

HTH

I have Bala's, a CAE, a Peacock Eel, and Several Mollies [ 4 Balloon and 1 Baby Sailfin ] as well as a few feeder fish which are about to get out of my tank

EDIT

I also have Fiddler Crabs and a bunch of Ghost Shrimp

I'd say the mollies would be a big target. Perhaps the others, too.

Often, the IDPs are best in a species-only tank, or as targaboy said, with fast fish that can fend for themselves. You'll run into the least number of probs in a species-only, though.

Believe it or not, they might try to eat the crabs. They probably wouldn't succeed but I know the larger freshwater puffers LOVE to eat crabs.

Um... hehe. I find that rather amusing... Do you know how large the IDPs get, Madame_X? Ok, you probably do... but just in case... they only grow to 1 inch including fins... That would be quite a sight, though--a >1 inch fish taking on a 3-5 inch fiddler crab with a claw larger than the puffer!! Though I wouldn't put it past the aggressive little buggers! :wink:

Yeah, I know how small they are. :) That's why I said they probably wouldn't be successful.

But I'm guessing they're like chihuahuas--they don't realize how small they really are (had a chihuahua try to take on my 90 lb. boxer once...).

They like crustaceans so they might think that crab is a big tasty meal. :p

Hehe. Real David and Goliath stuff. Yeah, puffers are a mighty ornery bunch, so I wouldn't put anything past them!

The puffers will attempt to take on anything in that tank, regardless of size. They are really vicious. They sure do look cute and have had them in the past. Only keep them in a species specific tank for the sake of all the other fish. They will actually gang up on other fish and tankmates. If it moves it is fair game.

You could keep 4 of them in a 10 gallon tank with some live plants. Beware though that when you first get them you really have to feed them live food. This means live brine shrimp and a whole lot of small snails. They really require snails. After awhile you can ween them onto frozen foods as well.

I know of one person who has. She said that the fish established a hierarchy, and that this suited them. I believe it is best to stock a few females per male so as to discourage male-male fighting.

Personally, I'd advise a larger tank, but if you're going to plant the 10 heavily, then the puffers should have enough definable territory. I'm about to do the same with my 10, and if it works, I'll let you know. I have about 12-15 plants in there of differing sizes in order to provide diversity. However, if you plan on doing that, you need a fertilized substrate, a CO2 injector and a different type of fluorescent light (18000K). So, up to you, but I'd highly recommend plants or more space. If, everytime, the largest ,male puffer turns around he sees the second-largest male puffer, there will be issues!

Sexing is tough for the IDPs, and I only remember that the underbelly is crucial to determining sex. I believe there is a darker marking on the males... Ah, here we go. Here is a site that explains the sexing (excuse the English-as-a-second-language-ness of the site): http://www.rr.iij4u.or.jp/~kohda/en/en-dwarfpuffer.htm

Good luck! I'm excited for you. Let me know where you get the IDPs if you do find them. (www.Aquabid.com sometimes has good deals on them, so you might try there if you can't find them locally.)

Ahah. I'm going to start a thread to see if anybody's knows of good deals like that one, William. I've never seen them at my local Petcos or LFSs. I think they're really tough to get in NYC.

Petsmart has dwarf puffers??!?

<Runs for her car keys...>

Seriously, though, my LFS had them a while back for around $5 each, I think? They weren't that expensive. I'd have bought some but I was just starting my first tank at the time and it obviously wasn't appropriate for that.

I've been thinking about putting a pair of them in a six gallon Eclipse or something like that. Anyone know how to sex a puffer? :)

Um... read above! I've posted a link--5 posts up.

Males--underbelly has a dark lateral stripe. Females... don't.

Back
Top Bottom