Dwarf Mexican Crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaeroo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone successfully kept Dwarf Mexican Crayfish (CPO) in a dirted tank? I would really like to get one or two but idk about them burrowing into the substrate. I have clay in the dirt (so it will be more compact) and it might be messy for a bit but i guess it'll just settle down and that would be their permanent den? Do they dig multiple hiding spots? Any advice would be appreciated!:D

I had 3, none made it past two weeks. My buddy had two and both died. They seem to do great then just for out of no where and from reading it's pretty common. I do want some more cause they are great for planned tanks but I'm waiting a bit

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

IME my crayfish haven't dug at all. I had 3 in a 10 gallon and yes, they did all die suddenly (although I do think it was because of bad water quality) I've had my current one since November and he's still going strong, but he is a Dwarf Blue Crayfish, not a CPO (much prettier IMO) Most CPO's are inbred in large fish farms in Asia, so due to poor breeding and shipping from all the over there is really stressful. These little guys are probably the most popular because they are for planted tanks and aren't supposed to dig or uproot plants. This is all just from my experience. They're really cool, with a hefty price tag, but still cool!

Back
Top Bottom