Dwarf Platies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tostada

Aquarium Advice Freak
I rearranged my tanks and now I've got a 5.5 gal with just a betta and 3 little Sunset Coral Dwarf Platies (all female) I got for $0.99 each at PetSmart. The biggest one is maybe an inch including the tail.

I've just gotta say these things are sooooo cute. I've got a bunch of dwarf sag in the tank, and the smallest platy is barely wider than some of the leaves/blades. I guess they're about like regular platies but smaller, but they just seem so much cuter. They kinda sit there at the top of the water when they sleep a lot of times. They spend a lot of time just poking at at the plants (I suppose they're trying to eat them, but they're certainly not doing much damage). When they're just swimming around, they're very slow and graceful, but the way they pick at the plants, food on the bottom of the tank, and algae on the walls is almost like some kind of little hyper dog attacking a chew toy.

I switched which tanks my bettas were in, too (I was worried the betta in the 5.5 gal would have a "this is my tank" attitude when I added the platies). The new betta still flared at them and chased them around for the first day, and I was a little worried, but now he usually ignores them totally.

Anyway, I'd never really heard of dwarf platies, and can't find much info about them online. I just happened to see them in the LFS.

i have a trio myself, watch out, they can change sex (i had two females and a male when i bought them, now I have three males).

They are great fish though, so darn cute, and I just love their bright color. One of my dwarfs though is almost as large as my male red wag. The other two are really small still (one still smaller than the other though.)

You will like them, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom