Dwarf platys and plecos (2 questions)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daydreamer4186

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The other day I got 3 reddish orange dwarf platys...1 male 2 females. I was wondering if they would reproduce as well as other platys if at all. The male seems to have no interest in the females at all. My second question has to do with plecos. Do they reproduce in captivity? I have 2 plecos and they are the dark brown spotted one's that seem extremely common (I see them a lot but forgot their name). One of them has a rather chubby abdomen now and it seems to be chubbier on one side. It eats fine and is active so could it be pregnant? How do you tell the sexes apart?

As far as platies go, the males aren't quite as "persistent" as most other live bearers. Rest assured nature will take its course and they will breed.

Plecos are another story. There are hundreds of species and getting most of them to spawn in captivity is a daunting task for even experts. Without knowing exactly what species you have I would say that breeding (or sexing), would be impossible.

I've heard you can only breed plecos in ponds as thay need a mud bank to lay the eggs in!
And i'm not too sure about sexing them... i have a couple and even at 12 in i cant really see a difference...

Yeah my plecos are basically the same now. The dwarf platys that I have seem to ignore each other. I can't really tell very well but one does look a little bit bigger. I'm hoping she's pregnant!

Back
Top Bottom