Dwarf puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I ordered my dwarf puffer Friday and it will be here on Wednesday. I have had the 10 gallon tank set up for 6 months in anticipation of his or her arrival. I have blasting grit substrate, real plants, and driftwood. The filter is a Tetra Whisper 40. I have some large shells set up around the tank for extra hiding spots. I drilled some holes in the big piece of driftwood to make caves so the puffer will have a lot of places to rest. I have kept the tank cycled with two mystery snails and a healthy colony of ramshorn snails. Hopefully the puffer will make a dent in these. I have too many. I have the heater set on 78 degrees. I will be removing the mystery snails if the puffer shows to much interest in them. I have read that the dwarf puffer sometimes will leave larger snails alone so I am going to wait and see what happens. I have freeze dried blood worms, live earthworms. and some dried shrimp. I am wondering if I shouldn't start a colony of some other type of worm. Does anybody have a suggestion on this? The only worms I have raised are red earthworms for my compost pile. Do I need anything else? I have been researching a lot and the above info is all I have really come up with.

If your compost pile does not have any chemicals in it, then its ok to feed them to your puffer. The snails and live earthworms is the perfect diet.

I do not use chemicals in my yard or garden area. I cannot vouch for store bought produce though. I wash it thoroughly before eating but you never know what it was treated with before it gets to you. I think I will start a small bucket of compost with stuff I know to be chemical free and grow the worms for the puffer separately from my regular compost. I wounder of I could feed it the grub worms I dig up. I have been battling them for the last two years in my garden. I cannot wait to get my puffer. I have been waiting for awhile so the tank will be somewhat seasoned and stable.

Back
Top Bottom