Dwarf puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, i went to the lfs and was looking around and found they had gotten a shipment of dwarf puffers! I couldnt help but get one for my 20g long. I wanted to know a little about these guys. I looked at live aquaria and it says they need brine shrimp and crustacean foods, is this true? Will they eat flakes and bloodworms? Also he is only about a half an inch in size and i was worried my GBRs might eat him, they are each 2 inches and the other stock is 5 neons, and 3 kuhli loaches. Should i drip him? Or is it fine floating? Some additional info would be good too! Thanks!

Oh boy... generally speaking, these are not community fish. Occasionally you'll hear about someone that has made it work, but more often than not the dwarf puffer is gonna be a little fin-nipping terror when kept with community fish. I hope it works out for you though. If you have a spare 5-10 gallon, I would move the puffer.

Well what kind is it? Some dwarf puffers can be brackish. They can also be highly aggressive so watch out. You will need to feed them crunchy foods like shrimp and SOME snails to keep their teeth down. A picture would help but not for me. All I know is about some of the bigger ones like fahaka and arrowhead, you'll want someone else to help with identification and care. Like Severum mama who is already here! lol

Oh boy... generally speaking, these are not community fish. Occasionally you'll hear about someone that has made it work, but more often than not the dwarf puffer is gonna be a little fin-nipping terror when kept with community fish. I hope it works out for you though. If you have a spare 5-10 gallon, I would move the puffer.

I dont have one spare, but i can set up a 5g in a couple weeks, will he be ok till then? Also could i get anyone else to be with him?

I couldn't help but posting because it seams some of the advice you have been given is not 100% true. Dwarf puffers are not true puffers, therefore do not need snails to wear down their teeth. Although they do love to eat snail, but they do not eat the shells. I have a single dwarf puffer with a otto catfish and a whisker shrimp in a 4 gallon and I have had no problems with nipping or aggression at all. This tank has been set up for around 6 months I think. I feed mine blood worms 1-2 times a day.

I couldn't help but posting because it seams some of the advice you have been given is not 100% true. Dwarf puffers are not true puffers, therefore do not need snails to wear down their teeth. Although they do love to eat snail, but they do not eat the shells. I have a single dwarf puffer with a otto catfish and a whisker shrimp in a 4 gallon and I have had no problems with nipping or aggression at all. This tank has been set up for around 6 months I think. I feed mine blood worms 1-2 times a day.

Ok so he will eat blood worms?

Got a dwarf puffer in a 5 galleon. He lives with 3 cherry shrimp and totally ignores him. Feed him frozen blood worm. He will eat it right off a pair of tweezers. Will eat brine shrimp but only feed occasionally. Heard they aren't too nutritious. Also will eat small pest snails. Not brackish and his beak doesn't need to be trimmed. He is an excellent fish for a small aquarium. Cut and very interactive.

Dwarf Puffers are true puffers. They live in freshwater and eat snails, bloodworms, and shrimp. Their main diet is snails. Most owners also feed frozen bloodworms or thawed frozen shrimp. They can be really picky eaters and will not eat freeze dried food. They are very sensitive to water conditions. They should also be kept alone or in a species only tank. They will fight and kill other tank mates when they mature. Occasionally you will find one that will tolerate other fish but very rare. Each puffer needs at least 5 gallons of water and lots of interesting things in the tank. They spend a lot of time hunting for snails and need to be kept entertained. Here is a good forum all about puffers The Puffer Forum • Discussion Forum Home

Reactions: HN1
Usually don't get overly aggressive till they mature. Should be good while you give a new tank time to cycle. If you have some pest snails in your current tank. Might want to throw a bunch in new tank. So you have a pop for your puffer to hunt.

Malabar pufferfish, pea pufferfish or pygmy pufferfish, Carinotetraodon travancoricu is a FW puffer. Define "true puffer". While they don't necessarily need to wear teeth down like other SW AND FW puffers, that is often the only thing they will eat. Live worms are a good option, but some will never take to them. Prepared foods are not going to work. Big difference with a single specimen being the "big" fish in a small tank and being housed in a community tank with a cichlid pair. See signature.

Usually don't get overly aggressive till they mature. Should be good while you give a new tank time to cycle. If you have some pest snails in your current tank. Might want to throw a bunch in new tank. So you have a pop for your puffer to hunt.

I dont have any but i sill ask the lfs if they have some i can get for free

It is really funny when they eat the snails. Mine carries the shell around the tank on his mouth like he is a dog with a bone

Are there any fish i can house in a 10g with him? Or would he kill anything inside? Would a school of cories work? And a few oto cats?

Would this work with the puffer?
5-6 harlequin rasboras
3-4 pygmy cories
1-2 oto cats
And a whole butt load of pest snails
In a 10g. Should i get some more plants in my 20g while hes waiting for his new tank? All i have is 1 anubias nana...

You just can't tell all dwarf puffers are different. Heard ottos usually work. I would think Cory's would work less then middle top swimmers. The puffer I have stays in the bottom portion of tank.

You just can't tell all dwarf puffers are different. Heard ottos usually work. I would think Cory's would work less then middle top swimmers. The puffer I have stays in the bottom portion of tank.

Thats what he was doing at the lfs, he was picking at the gravel and looking for food

I fed everyone a whole cube of blood worms, the puffer didnt eat any but he has been out and exploring his temperary home! Is there anything i can do to make him happier? What foods should i get him? His tank is gonna be up in a couple weeks.

New stocking idea, 10g tank.
5 Harlequin rasboras
3 oto cats
Puffer
And could i get another puffer? Or would they fight like it says on Live A

Last edited by a moderator:
Update on the puffer, he has been chaseing everyone around the tank and everyone except the kuhli loaches have tasted his wrath. What should i do?????? Should i take him to the lfs? His tank hasnt even been bought yet :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom