Dwarf puffer advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are definitely a sight to see! Beautiful and active.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

They're among my favorite members of my favorite group of fish- easily my favorite mid-sized botia. The most peaceful loach in my experience.

I'm considering getting some ottos or some kuhli loaches for the puffer tank. Thoughts?

I would do Otos but wait till the tank as established some. Don't know how the puffer would like Kuhli

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

No... probably tomorrow at this point; USPS hasn't updated since it left portland.

That's disappointing...are they from AquaBid? I'm debating between ordering a pair or doing the 45 minute drive to the lfs.

That's disappointing...are they from AquaBid? I'm debating between ordering a pair or doing the 45 minute drive to the lfs.

Yeah they're from aquabid! The seller was fishonlinerus.

Honestly I would have bought them locally if I had the option but they're technically illegal in this state, and the only store that would stock them has some kind of thing for snails and won't stock pufferfish because of it.... Every other fish store is several hours away.

If it's anything like my area... DP only cost like 6-8 dollars here. Driving will replace the shipping cost.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

If it's anything like my area... DP only cost like 6-8 dollars here. Driving will replace the shipping cost.

Oh not here, this is the Metro DC area :nono: The store is just over 10 miles away which in normal traffic will be 45 minutes easily. Called the store, DPs in stock but when I asked cost was told 'oh $12 or $15, something like that'...apparently too busy to check :nono: Plus side is there's a great sushi restaurant next door (love the irony!) :whistle: AquaBid is $30 for the pair including shipping.

Oh not here, this is the Metro DC area :nono: The store is just over 10 miles away which in normal traffic will be 45 minutes easily. Called the store, DPs in stock but when I asked cost was told 'oh $12 or $15, something like that'...apparently too busy to check :nono: Plus side is there's a great sushi restaurant next door (love the irony!) :whistle: AquaBid is $30 for the pair including shipping.
....That's the same guy I got mine from, and he had 5 for sale when I got mine. Now I'm a little sketched out....

I would stick with tot's, they'll probably nip anything else. Keep us updated.

Yeah, I figured. I'm going to try ottos pretty soon, but I have a place to put them if things get dicey. Algae is already showing up in places and also already exists heavily on the filter and one of the decorations, both of which were from a well established tank.

Dwarf puffers! I'm not a good photographer and they're smaller than my finger nails so I just can't get a clear shot of them. Still, hope you enjoy :)
watch

Last edited:
Wow it must just be cheap here in Portland... My lfs sells DP $3

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
10g betta, nano fish, shrimp
3g betta

Ok, so I tried giving them a few frozen bloodworms. No response, but they're still poking around alot so I left just a few in (like, 3 or 4 worms total) in places the puffers might find them. I'll go back and remove them if they're not eaten in a few hours.

There's 3 adult snails in the tank but I think they're too big for the puffers to eat, so I'm a little worried about them having enough food.

Ok, so I tried giving them a few frozen bloodworms. No response, but they're still poking around alot so I left just a few in (like, 3 or 4 worms total) in places the puffers might find them. I'll go back and remove them if they're not eaten in a few hours.

There's 3 adult snails in the tank but I think they're too big for the puffers to eat, so I'm a little worried about them having enough food.

You need to get feeder snails. Or pest snails. But small ones. I usually use mts because my lfs gives them for free because of over population!

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
3g betta

You need to get feeder snails. Or pest snails. But small ones. I usually use mts because my lfs gives them for free because of over population!

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
3g betta

That's what I've got- but my puffers are really really small, too small for even the feeder snails. And I'm hoping to wean them onto frozen food anyway.

That's what I've got- but my puffers are really really small, too small for even the feeder snails. And I'm hoping to wean them onto frozen food anyway.

But the snails a important to help with their teeth by grinding them. My puffers ate the small snails. Maybe they do when you don't look? At least always have snails in there.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
3g betta

I'm sure they'll eat the smaller snails, and probably the bigger ones when they grow a little more. I'm just a bit worried about them in the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom