Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question dwarf puffer tank ideas

i'm considering getting a dwarf puffer for my 5gal. i've been wondering how i would house some snails for him, as i don't really have space for a random breeding bucket or another little tank for them. I have a 20gal i considered introducing snails into and pulling out when its time to feed, but i really don't like the aesthetic of snails in there. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to infect the actual 5gal itself and let them breed in there for a few weeks before introducing the puffer, so he can hunt them and eat them when he choses. would this be a very strained bioload? would he gorge himself? i've heard of some people doing this and "never having to feed their puffer again" but im not sure how fool proof of an idea it is. i could possibly upgrade him to a 10gal to help with the bioload if that is an issue, but that might not fit on my shelf, i would have to see. do you guys have any opinions on this kind of feeding method?

Old 07-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #2

I'm growing them in a gallon jug with an airline on the window sill. I use a turkey baster to remove their waste and change the water periodically. They eat green water or spirulina flakes it's a process but it works. I wait til they get big and then toss em in. I'd imagine dwarves would gorge themselves otherwise like most puffs but I've never kept them just SAPs
Old 07-02-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just got my five dwarf puffer fish yesterday. They are in my 28 gallon tank and I have a five gallon tank for harvesting snails. Hopefully, it will work. I've decided I agree with what I've read about breeding snails - when you want them you can't get them, and when you don't want them you can't get rid of them. It's a very slow process. I did introduce quite a bit of snails that have reproduced into the 28 gallon tank so they would breed and there would be baby snails for the baby dwarf puffers to eat, but I think they've hunted every last one of them in a day. Either that, or the snails are really good at hiding now that they are being hunted.

Tags
tank, puffer, dwarf puffer, ideas, dwarf, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com