Dwarf Puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm thinking of starting a 15 gallon aquarium and while looking for ideas dwarf puffers were recommended to me. I did some researching and found them pretty interesting so I wanted to look into them. Does anyone have any care tips, general facts, suggestions, etc? Also how many could I have in a 15 gallon? There's a lot of conflicting opinions on it but I was thinking 2-3, only one male and the rest female. I'd heavily plant the aquarium to reduce aggressiveness as well. THey seem like great fish. Thanks!

I'd say three is the most puffers. Feed them brine shrimp and bloodworms. Baby ramshorn snails should be good for teeth trimming.

I would say four. For plants I would get anubias, crypts, or java fern.

Alright. I hear dwarf puffer tanks have to be heavily planted so I'll get lots of those. Can I use driftwood as well?

If it's reasonably sized then yes. Puffers will fight over territories so plants are crucial.

Okay lots of plants then. I want to get some plants that won't need co2 supplementation because the location of where the tank will be would make it very tricky. I was thinking dwarf anubias, java fern, and maybe hornwort. Do you have any other suggestions? Also do crypts require co2?

Are dwarf puffers really active? I'm thinking about adding 3 in my 29 gallon but don't want something that will just stay in 1 spot all day. 29 gallons is alot of space to fill for a 1 inch fish

Are dwarf puffers really active? I'm thinking about adding 3 in my 29 gallon but don't want something that will just stay in 1 spot all day. 29 gallons is alot of space to fill for a 1 inch fish

the 1 inch of fish rule is really inaccurate and should only be used as a guideline. From what I know, you can add some but not if it's a community aquarium because they're very aggressive.

Instead I might upgrade my saltwater tank to a 20 gallon and use the 10 gallon for dwarf puffers. If I did that then I'd only have two dwarf puffers. I'm so indecisive I'm sure I'll change my mind 100 more times before I decide on something. If I go through with it, how many otos could I have with the puffers in a 10g?

Two otos. Another good puffer would be the south american puffer. More peaceful than the dwarf but only one puffer will do in the 10.

I had 4 DP and 3 died due to aggression and it was the female that bullied everyone. 1 is usually how it goes with these guys.

I still have to decide what I want to do. Indecisiveness and this hobby really do not mix. I still have to decide what to use the 20L for.

I think I will start with just getting the 20 for dwarf puffers and wait until I'm ready to upgrade my saltwater. I've always liked freshwater a lot more anyways, and a 20 would look nicer in the spot I'm gonna put it then a 10 gallon. How many otos then?

Back
Top Bottom