Dwarf puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
Saw a couple threads on dwarf puffers tonight. Although i am not an expert on fw puffers, I gave managed to keep 4 out 4 alive and well in a heavily planted, well established 20l for about a year now. I also keep Amazon puffers, few months and 3/3 are well. Few things to consider.
Health- while you may be told they're tank raised, id be willing to bet they're wild caught. You should always treat wc for parasites, especially dp, ifvtheyre not eating and seem lethargic act fast.
Environment- each puff should have 5 gal, if you add more than structure for defining territories is a must as they're potentially aggressive and territorial. They're not community fish.
Food- I feed mine frozen blood worms, brine shrimp and glass worms. Live snails are added to the tank monthly. They eat the shizz out of blood worms. If you're do not than they're probably sick or stressed.

My new guys are eating snails and frozen bloodworms like crazy. They are pigly little guys/girls if allowed to be. Ha!

I treated my tank from the beginning with Prazipro (thanks to advice on here) and I also soaked their bloodworms in some before feeding. Hopefully, will not have to deal with any IPs. They prefer the snails, but come swimming up fast when I bring in the bloodworms.

I think mine are too young to sex at this point, but I think I might see the tell-tale sign of the stripe going down the tummy of a male, the rest appear to be female since I don't see that stripe on anymore.

Only had them going on six days now, but I am so glad to have them again!

Back
Top Bottom