Dwarf Puffers with nano Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willhart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I recently got a 2nd tank (125L) and have moved most of my fish across into the new comunity tank.

This has left my origional 60L planted tank with just 3 Otto's, 10 Tiny Mosquito Rasboras and 3 Amano Shrimps. They are all happy and keeping the tank Cycled and clean.

My wife would like to keep some Dwarf Puffers in the 60L and I would too.

My Question is, would they be OK living with the Tiny and Shy Mosquito's and the Shy Otto's?

The Amano's could hapily go into the new tank if they are a problem, and i supose the Otto's could too, although they are needed in the 60L as it does get algea growth occasionaly.

I was planning to add more rocks and caves and maybe some more plants before adding the Dwarf Puffers.

Some web sites say Dwarf Puffers are OK with small shy tankmates, others say species only set up?

What do you all think?

The rasboras will likely try to out compete them for food unless you are planning to breed snails to feed the puffers. The puffers will also nip at the rasboras if they get close enough and they will harass the shrimp. I would suggest species only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Puffers are best kept in species tanks and tend to be quite aggressive. Tiny chili rasbora's will be an easy target for them to kill.

Definitely a species only fish. There's a lot of bite in those tiny little packages ;) You MIGHT have better luck with South American puffers, also called Amazon puffers. They're less aggressive although rasboras would probably still be bullied. I personally LOVE SAPs. They're hard to find, and you have to do a bit of dentistry a couple times a year, but they're fun little guys to watch and play with :) I kept mine with green tiger barbs, a few danios and tetras, and khuli loaches. Never had any problems

Thanks everyone. I know full size puffers are definately species only. But have read mixed reports on the Dwarf or Pygmy Puffers. The LFS even sell them as community fish, but I thought it better to check.
The ones I am talking about grow no bigger tha 1 inch long.

They might be ok temporarily but long term success for such a situation is rare and it'd most often not end well for the rasboras. Species tank is best, although some people house DPs with otos without problems.

I have an endler with my dwarf puffer and have seen zero agression. Wasn't my plan but the endler didn't get along with the other fish in my 20 so only place to rehome was my puffer. Guess i got lucky

Back
Top Bottom