Dying fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N.Galvin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi i have a 56 litre tank that has rummy nose tetras, red dwarf goutami and 3 shrimp. But ever simce i got the tank about a year ago my fish keep dying one by one.

I have the master test kit and all my water test come out fine so i really dont no what is happenin.

Any one have any idea

Thanks

Have you done water changes? Whats the temp? Do you use chlorine remover?

Do a water change every week and use declorinzor, the temp is 28 degrees

Im really lost at what is happening im tempted buy a new tank

What are the results, in numbers, for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

Amonoa 0ppm nitrite 0 ppm

Ammonia is somtimes 0.25 ppm

Sorry thats the one i was supposed to write nitrate is 0ppn

So ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all reading 0? If your tank has cycled, you should have a detectable nitrate reading. Is it possible that your kit has expired? Do you change your filter media?

Hi just done a nitrate test and the results are show are showing around 20-40 ppm

Attachments

• image-6691207.jpg
    image-6691207.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 68
The only way to keep nitrates down is to do water changes. 40ppm is the max upper limit. It might be that you need to water change twice a week for a few weeks. Plants can also help to reduce nitrates a little bit.

Is it possible that there is a disease in the tank? Do you notice anything strange about your fish leading up to when they die?

The fish seem fine then when i look there dead they just die out of no where

I read moss balls are good for nitrates so i bought one to try and help

Can sand cause deaths?

I changed from gravel to sand a while back i dont no if that has somthing to do with it or not

Ive never had sand but I have read that if it's stirred it can be ingested causing all sorts of problems.

Do some research on sand substrates. Since your parameters are ok I'm guessing that there could be a disease of some kind.

Have you checked the ph of the water?

I seriously doubt that the problem is the sand.

How long do your new fish last when you bring them home? Are you buying them all at the same place? Maybe the store is just selling you sickly fish.

Id say they last a month or so

I have tried 2 different stores so far i bought some more today il see how they go
I may just buy a new tank and start again

Do you buy them from the same place and how long do they live after you buy them?

Sorry thats the one i was supposed to write nitrate is 0ppn

Make sure you shakem nitrate bottle #2 (if 2 bottles) or #3 like if your life depends of it before your test. There's a chemical that tend to precipitate and become low soluble.

Make sure you shakem nitrate bottle #2 (if 2 bottles) or #3 like if your life depends of it before your test. There's a chemical that tend to precipitate and become low soluble.

Hi yes i got the reading wrong i tested the water for nitrates when i got home and got it around 20-40 ppm

I shake the #2 bottle till my arm aches haha

Hi i shake the bottle till my arm aches like hell haha

I got the reading wrong i tested nitrate when i got home and got a reading around 20-40 ppm

i know this may sound crazy but do u use a lot of air freshener around the room that the tank is in. if so the perfumes can permeate the water and air system and kill them slowly

Back
Top Bottom