Dying neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian14

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 10 neon tetras Saturday and they have seem to be doing fine. Yesterday I noticed one stuck in the suction part of the filter and when I got it out it was dead. Today I found another one stuck in another filter I have in the tank. It's a 120 gallon tank. They look completely fine I'm not sure what is going on.

What are your parameters, what other fish are in the tank and how long has it been set up? The more we know the better we can help :)

Half the neon tetras I bought have died. I bought them in three stages because I had read that usually half of the new ones die. Took me three times to get a school of 8. Test your tank to make sure ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH are fine. If it is then that is just the nature of the beast. I tried an extra long acclimation with my last group and it seemed to help.

What are your parameters, what other fish are in the tank and how long has it been set up? The more we know the better we can help :)
that tanks been set up for about 2 weeks. 0 ammonia 0 nitrites about nitrates about 5ppm. Ph is about 7.6. There are 3 cory cats in the tank I got them the same time I got the neons

Half the neon tetras I bought have died. I bought them in three stages because I had read that usually half of the new ones die. Took me three times to get a school of 8. Test your tank to make sure ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH are fine. If it is then that is just the nature of the beast. I tried an extra long acclimation with my last group and it seemed to help.
okay thanks!

That is the curse of the neon tetra. I bought 16 cardinals and now I finally have a school of 5. I doubt it's anything you did or didn't do. Now that reminds me I need to go buy more one of these days I will get the school to 10...

Neon tetras can just die off like that. I had a school of 8 about a year ago and now I am down to 1. About five of them seemed to die within 2 weeks of each. The one i have has been doing okay in a tank with black skirts and angel fish.

Small tetras like neons, bloodfin, and glow lights just seem to die. They are very sensitive to changes in water parameters and I have found that drastic water changes like a 20 percent every week will lead to their death. They seem like to stability even if that means less than ideal water conditions.

My tetras seemed to get fraying fins and no other symptoms and just died off. The one i have has been fine for about 4 months and I am afraid of getting more neons if they just die but they are a pretty relatively inexpensive fish.

I've kept some pretty hard to keep fish in my time but I can't keep neons alive longer than 3 weeks. They just die....like....die. No symptoms, no nothing, just death. Weird little fishes they are.

I sometimes have this issue with neons dying like this unless I didn't add some kind of stress coat in the tank, and float the bags in the water for an hour or so... Then I leave the light on overnight... I found with neons if you put them in a new tank and don't leave the light on overnight they will die..

Fish are weaker when they are sleeping. You know when you have a cold like a sore throat and you go to sleep and wake up and the throat is way worse then it was when you were awake ? Its the same thing with fish... granted rest cures colds.. but still.. That's what I learned so try again and this time leave your lights on. Also did you float the bags in the water before putting them in ?? Sometimes like people said a few neons will die.. That's why I get like 10 of them when they are on sale for $1 at petsmart.. I usually will have 4 die, and then I return them and get more... Once you get neons that don't die in your tank its easy to keep them alive... As long as you don't let your nitrates get high. I have had 7 in my 27g and 30g for a long time now. I originally started with 10, then like 5 died and I got 5 more and 3 died and now I have had 7 for like 4 months

Well I'd like to know where you buy your voodoo because I can't do that lol. If I ever get neons again I will keep that in mind!

I sometimes have this issue with neons dying like this unless I didn't add some kind of stress coat in the tank, and float the bags in the water for an hour or so... Then I leave the light on overnight... I found with neons if you put them in a new tank and don't leave the light on overnight they will die..

Stress Coat is mostly a gimmick IMO... other than the fact that it does act as a dechlorinator. For that, it is useful, although Prime is more concentrated and thus, cheaper to use in the long term.

Fish are weaker when they are sleeping. You know when you have a cold like a sore throat and you go to sleep and wake up and the throat is way worse then it was when you were awake ? Its the same thing with fish... granted rest cures colds.. but still..

This reads as though you're proclaiming it as fact, yet there is nothing to back it up. Care to elaborate?

That's what I learned so try again and this time leave your lights on.

Most people will turn their lights OFF to acclimate new fish. Lower lighting often equals lower stress, as fish are demonstrably less active during lights-off periods.

Also did you float the bags in the water before putting them in ?? Sometimes like people said a few neons will die.. That's why I get like 10 of them when they are on sale for $1 at petsmart.. I usually will have 4 die, and then I return them and get more... Once you get neons that don't die in your tank its easy to keep them alive... As long as you don't let your nitrates get high. I have had 7 in my 27g and 30g for a long time now. I originally started with 10, then like 5 died and I got 5 more and 3 died and now I have had 7 for like 4 months

Sounds like the fish aren't too healthy when they get to the store. The survival rate listed above isn't great. Maybe try buying from another source.

Comments in bolded blue.

Last edited:
The pure fact that I have been having fish tanks for 20+ years and observing fish behavior is where I get my facts.. Your suggestions about going to different stores is invailed for me.. I shop at 3-4 diff stores the neons are all the same. Sick fish always die once the lights are off.. pure fact from what I have observed... next time you have a fish that is lethargic or something flip your lights off garuntee he will be dead the next morning.. If I leave my lights on they almost always are still alive and eventually recover... I have observed this from the past 20 years of having fish... A sick fish that dozes off in a new environment and currents he doesn't know will simply float around in the tank and die.. When they are awake they can at least control themselves and usually recover..

Answer this question for me... Why do you never have a fish that dies in the light time hours, but when you turn the lights off you are missing a bunch of fish ? That's why when I get weaker fish like neons I keep my lights on for 24 hours. Always works for me

I may be new to plants but when it comes to fish behavior I am not..

Being Firefighter and Medic, yea medic meaning I know a lot about the body.. I understand sleep helps the immune system and stress level.., but I have also observed when your sleeping you cant control your bodily symptoms and when you wake up the next morning your body feels worse and your throat feels worse and your all clogged up..

Im just stating my opinions and what I have found to be best in my experience.. Im not here to argue with you because you feel differently.

By that rationale, if you just left your lights on all the time then your sick fish would never die.

And to answer your question, yeah, I have had many fish die with the lights on. I say this from working in multiple stores and keeping 70+ tanks at a time.

Last edited:
Right and by your fact if you leave the lights off you fish would always be alive right, always in a state of unconsciousness and never eating ? Works both ways im done arguing with you geezus Christ. I never said to leave the lights on for 365 24/7 I said I leave them on overnight when I get the new fish..

I have found a least for me and my area that where you get your fish must make a difference. We have a wholesaler that sells to all the LFS's in this area and it is horrible. Every fish I have tried from them dies within a week. Except my serpea tetras. I bought neons and rummys from two different places online and one year later I still have the original 20 neons and 14 rummys I ordered. LOL They were in better shape after shipping than anything I've gotten locally. So I'll pay the shipping and really come out better in the long run. Just a point to ponder. If anyone wants to know where I got my healthy fish. PM me. OS.

Um, no. My fish actually just ate with the lights off. They are not unconscious, just a bit more mellow than they would be at lights on time. I'm not looking for an argument here but I call it as I see it, and what you're proposing does not make sense (let alone the apples and oranges comparison with human illness and fish illness).

Last edited:
Wow. I bought a school of ten in july and I have nine. One just died a week ago when I upgraded the tank. I plan on buying 10-20 this next Tuesday

I've found the bigger the school the better they survive the first weeks

Back
Top Bottom