dying oto- can I do anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought two otos last night and one of them seems to be on his way out. Last night I assumed that he was just stressed but he has barely moved today- he will lie motionless on his side for hours. The other one seems fine and is busy cleaning.

This is my first batch of fish after completing a fishless cycle. I know I will probably have to get use to fish dying but its hard to watch and not do anything - is there anything I can do?

I tested the water last night and today and the ammonia and nitrites are both at zero, nitrates are 20 and pH is 7. The temp is 26. I do have some algae but I bought wafers just in case it wasn't enough in such a new tank. But he's not eating.

Sometimes otos die for no apparent reason. They seem to be somewhat fragile initially. Once they make it past that first week or so, they're usually fine. They are normally the very last fish I add to a new tank. It's best to put them into an established tank with a few plants.

Back
Top Bottom