Earthworms!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luggy978

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all. Does anyone on here have any experience it know anything about feeding your fish earthworms? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

One day at a time

You gotta run your fingers along them and squeeze all the dirt and poo out. Otherwise when your fish swallows it, it all comes out in the tank water

Personally i would boil them to avoid any parasite issue.

They apparantly dont carry them, but my fish got parasites once after feeding worms. Coulda been from some new plants... but yea thats just my experience

My fish love earthworms. I go and collect them by flooding a certain patch of my backyard and they pop up.

So do mine! Earthworms do not carry any diseases or parasites that will affect fish either. In general, earthworms run around a 80% protein level and are chock full of amino acids. In simple terms, they are great for fish growth but just make sure your fish are capable of handling the high protein levels.

General advice on worms is practical- procure your worms from a healthy area of ground that has not been treated with insecticides, fertilizers, weed preventers, etc. The toxins in these chemicals may not affect worms but can pose a risk to fish. Make sure the worms are a good size for eating (or cut them up). My pond fish are fed worms in addition to a variety of other bugs, beetles, moths and slugs. Feel free to ask any questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Earthworms are fine for fish big enough to eat them. There are also smaller related species like grindal worms that you can culture at home for feeding smaller fish.

the also sell earthworm pellets , they have been used for raising ciclids for ever , cat fish love them also , and big loachs

Thanks you guys. Worms it is. I've got somewhere I can get a great supply, a large compost heap but I'm gonna do a bit of digging, excuse the pun, to find out if any weed killer or anything has been used on the grass cuttings that go into it. As for the cleaning of them. Is it necessary to squeeze the poop out or can you leave them in water for an hour before feeding? The worms are really to give my ebjd a bit more protein in his diet. Do you think he'll be ok with the high amount and how often would you feed?
Thanks again for you replies

One day at a time

There's nothing better than slurping up a couple worms at feeding time, oh yeah the fish like them too. :p

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom