Easy breedable fish that fit with tetra neons...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrvincent

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I currently have topless 29g tank well lid.

Here's what I owned until now:
7x tetra neon
8x tetra cardinals (I know i mixed cardinal and tetra)
6x lampeye (I had more but they often jump out of the tank)
3x siamensis algae eater
10x RCS.

I want to get rid of my lampeye killifishs, they don't stop to jump out of the tank. So I need a fish that don't jump, breed easily (I made spawning mops), and that is schooling fish.

Any ideas ? My first idea was to keep my lampeye, but massively breed them so I don't care about if they suicide themself. But I'm realizing that's cruel...

I could breed my tetras, but I don't think I have enough patience for this, they hard to breed.

Here's water parameters:
Temp: 25 C°
PH: 6.6-7.0 (Variable because CO2 injection)
GH: 4
KH: 2
NH3+NH4: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: <15ppm
PO4: low

Thanks for any suggestions !

Hi, I currently have topless 29g tank well lid.

Here's what I owned until now:
7x tetra neon
8x tetra cardinals (I know i mixed cardinal and tetra)
6x lampeye (I had more but they often jump out of the tank)
3x siamensis algae eater
10x RCS.

I want to get rid of my lampeye killifishs, they don't stop to jump out of the tank. So I need a fish that don't jump, breed easily (I made spawning mops), and that is schooling fish.

Any ideas ? My first idea was to keep my lampeye, but massively breed them so I don't care about if they suicide themself. But I'm realizing that's cruel...

I could breed my tetras, but I don't think I have enough patience for this, they hard to breed.

Here's water parameters:
Temp: 25 C°
PH: 6.6-7.0 (Variable because CO2 injection)
GH: 4
KH: 2
NH3+NH4: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: <15ppm
PO4: low

Thanks for any suggestions !

Do they have to be schooling fish? And those 3 algae eaters get big so I'd rehome them.

Do they have to be schooling fish? And those 3 algae eaters get big so I'd rehome them.

At now they 8 cm, and they look maxed up, they stopped growing since 1 month...
They show low agression, but they don't hurt my tetras and killifishs...

I like schooling fish, but if you know a non-schooling fish that fits with neons, cardinalis...

At now they 8 cm, and they look maxed up, they stopped growing since 1 month...
They show low agression, but they don't hurt my tetras and killifishs...

I like schooling fish, but if you know a non-schooling fish that fits with neons, cardinalis...

They can grow up to 16cm. So I really wouldn't attempt to keep them. German blue rams or some species of apistogramma could work. Depends how long your tank has been up.

They can grow up to 16cm. So I really wouldn't attempt to keep them. German blue rams or some species of apistogramma could work. Depends how long your tank has been up.

3 month

You don't think aspitos or rams will show agression ? And they don't jump ? And they don't eat shrimps ? And snails ?

I'd wait maybe another month and a bit. They are fragile when it comes to being in tanks which are fairly new :) trust me they'll be worth it! I had mine in 40ppm nitrate (straight out the tap) and they still layer eggs! There is different colour morphs too. I'd look up: german blue rams, electric blue rams (my fav) gold rams and Bolivian rams.

I'd wait maybe another month and a bit. They are fragile when it comes to being in tanks which are fairly new :) trust me they'll be worth it! I had mine in 40ppm nitrate (straight out the tap) and they still layer eggs! There is different colour morphs too. I'd look up: german blue rams, electric blue rams (my fav) gold rams and Bolivian rams.

But if this fish big like that, i'll prefer they don't breed, I won't have enough space for them....

But if this fish big like that, i'll prefer they don't breed, I won't have enough space for them....

No. They don't get big at all. I was talking about your Siamese algae eaters. Those are the ones which reach 16cm lol. The rams get around 6cm I THINK

Try a live bearer. Guppy/platy/Molly :) easy to breed

No. They don't get big at all. I was talking about your Siamese algae eaters. Those are the ones which reach 16cm lol. The rams get around 6cm I THINK

Yeah I know, but I can't keep 10 rams in a 29g with neons or cardinalis ? There'll be fighting, and nitraites buildup?

Try a live bearer. Guppy/platy/Molly :) easy to breed

Personally, I don't like platies and mollies...

Do guppys jump ? That's the main thing I want to solve in my tank... If guppy jump more than lampeye killies, then i'll keep killies. And I only want to replace my suiciders killifish without put a top on my tank...

For the siamensis, the only place where I can rehome them is in the toilet, so i'll wait they become agressive, or cause any problems... Until now they're fine...

You don't think aspitos or rams will show agression ? And they don't jump ? And they don't eat shrimps ? And snails ?

Try zebra danios. They're a schooling fish and would get along fine with tetras. Heard they breed easily enough too.

Yeah I know, but I can't keep 10 rams in a 29g with neons or cardinalis ? There'll be fighting, and nitraites buildup?

I never said you needed ten, I pair would work. Don't know where you got ten from? If you're worrying about nitrate build up from them, imagine what it is like woththe siamese algae eaters. Never flush living fish! I'm sure if you went to a local LFS or put a add up on the Internet someone would take them...

Siamese algae eater aren't aggressive.

You're pretty well stocked so finding a fish that will breed in those conditions and have the fry survive...well guppies I guess.

Back
Top Bottom