Easy plants for beginners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuck

Aquarium Advice Freak
So here's what I want to stock my tank with:

Guppies/tetras for colour
Corys for bottom feeders
Not sure about a "centre piece" fish yet

But I really want to add some shrimp and snails.

So my question is this, what plants are easy going and would suit this kind of set up? I've heard java fern is easy so that's one.
A d I've been looking into java moss, but I hear its a pain and just clogs up the filter so would one of those moss balls (don't know the name but its something like Mamino) be better for the shrimp?

Also there's some flame moss pads on eBay could I tie these to half a pot to make a small shrimp cave? Or would they die?

It really depends on how much light your tank has. If its standard tank lighting then I'd go with anubias, java moss, java fern, and bolbitis.

The java moss isn't that bad. Just tie it to a piece of driftwood or something and it'll be fine.

It really depends on how much light your tank has. If its standard tank lighting then I'd go with anubias, java moss, java fern, and bolbitis.

The java moss isn't that bad. Just tie it to a piece of driftwood or something and it'll be fine.

Yeah it's just the light that's built into the tanks hood. I also only have a thin layer of gravel should I increase this before I get the plants?

I'd recommend checking out water wisteria, windelov java fern,
Cryptocoryne parva and creeping charlie.

All have done very well in my aquarium (fairly low light) without taking it over.

Standard stock lighting is usually really low light so as already recommended Anubia's, Java Ferns (there are different ones, Trident, Narrowleaf, Wendilov and all will work), Bolbitus, but I also grow Ambulia, Micro Chain Swords, Crypts (all kinds), Jungle Val, Water Sprite, and Dwarf Sag, are just a few that can tolerate low light.

If you use crypts you need to add root tabs as they are heavy root feeders. I would also suggest using a liquid carbon such as Flourish Excel daily as it really helps with growth and photosynthesis in low light tanks. BUT if you use a liquid carbon don't use Jungle Val in your tank as the liquid carbon will melt it. But instead of Jungle Val you can use Crypt Balanese for the same effect but IMO with much cooler looking leaves. You will also want to get some ferts for the tank. Seachems Flouish Comprehensive used weekly after WC's along with API Leaf Zone for added iron and potassium is a good combination unless you have a really large tank. In that case I would suggest dry ferts.

Back
Top Bottom