Easy schooling fish for a 20 gallon long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jkilgor6

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys!

I've had a tank now for about 8 months, but I still consider myself a newbie. I recently upgraded to a 20 gallon long from a 10 gallon, and have 6 albino corydoras. I also had 6 zebra danios but took them to my local LFS this week to adopt out, as I'm looking for a schooling fish. I have several different types of plants in my tank, including a pothos vine that is growing in my two HOB filters.

This tank is established, as I used water from my 10 gallon to jump start it 3 months ago. I don't currently know the exact parameters of my water, but everything seems to be stable. I'm doing water changes often to ensure safety until I can replace my test kit.

My main question is, are there any easy/hardy schooling fish that would go well with my cories? I recently saw some redeye tetras and loved them, but I hear mixed opinions on the size of tank that they can go in. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

There are several tetra's available for schooling fish. You'd have to Google them and see what you like.

Yup. What are you looking for? Personally I’ve become very fond of my harlequin rasboras. They stay in the upper half of the tank and stick together even in relatively small groups. Lots of other tetras are always buried in the plants.

Schooling, or shoaling?

Tiger barbs are a good shoaling fish, and a 20 gallon long would be ideal for about 10 of them with your 6 corys. I wouldn't get less than 5 TBarbs though.

I've kind of been back and forth. The harlequins definitely seem like a great choice but I have been looking at some of the more deep bodied tetras, like the Serpae. I love Tiger Barbs but almost everywhere I look its suggested that a 20 gallon long is not big enough for them.

@Upstate Tbarbs have you kept them in a 20 gallon successfully before? If so, I would definitely consider them again.

@libertybelle If I were to go with harlequins, how many do you think I should get?

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

I love Tiger Barbs but almost everywhere I look its suggested that a 20 gallon long is not big enough for them.

@Upstate Tbarbs have you kept them in a 20 gallon successfully before? If so, I would definitely consider them again.

Obviously bigger would be better, but a 20G Long will be fine. A 20G High, not so much, as they are a mid-range fish that likes to swim back and forth more than up and down.

I am going to second liberty and say the harlequin rhasboras. They are a real favorite of mine. If I could find them in my area I would already have them. I also really like the serpea tetras too. So many fish and not enough tanks!

Back
Top Bottom