Eat, guppies, eat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimmiA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello!
I have two juvie females in a 5gal. I rotate between a diet of flakes, freeze dried brine shrimp, andbloodworms. Before, these two would be so excited for feeding time but lately when I drop the food in, they just nib it once and swim away. Water params are normal...what could be the issue? Is this just a "growing up" phase?

Fish Food

Hello!
I have two juvie females in a 5gal. I rotate between a diet of flakes, freeze dried brine shrimp, andbloodworms. Before, these two would be so excited for feeding time but lately when I drop the food in, they just nib it once and swim away. Water params are normal...what could be the issue? Is this just a "growing up" phase?

Hello Kim...

Try a little frozen. I feed my Gups a variety of frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, bloodworms, krill and plankton.

I don't feed much. Just a little, twice a week. Aquarium fish have very, very small stomachs and are filled quickly.

If you feed sparingly, your fish will be much more willing to eat.

One, quick note: I hope your females aren't pregnant. If they are, that 5 G will get crowded pretty quickly.

B

Hi Kim,

Please define 'normal water parameters." Since they're not eating, are you siphoning out the uneaten food? They should be going for the food you're providing them without hesitation.

David

Ph is 6.5

Ammonia and nitrate are 0

That's why I'm so stumped. I mean they pick under the substrate, but they won't eat when I try to feed them. Hmph!

Don't feed them for two days, then try again. If they're still not eating, go to your local fish store and purchase live brine shrimp. If that still does not work, try green peas. They might just be a little plugged up...

David

Sounds like a plan. They are still under two months so its odd for me to see them so "meh" to food when they normally love any sight of it especially while they are growing.

They will be fine. Just feed as mentioned. Skip a day or two. If they were eating the food you were giving before, then no need to go nuts trying different things. And yes, if you have females, they will be dropping fry in no time. The two females I purchased did not look pregnant, and one dropped 12 fry in the bag on the way home! They ate 3, but I still have 9 that I am raising.

I'll definitely hold back the feeding. My females aren't hit most likely since they were the only two that survived a drop from my main female guppy. I took them out of the main tank so that they can develop without being hassled all the time :)

It's fun watching fry grow!

It is fun watching them grow. I still have them in the breeder net, but they should be ready to join the community soon. Only problem is I can't keep all of them. My tank is already at its limits stock-wise.

My fish seems to grow tired of flakes when I feed the same brand as a staple for few months. So, I have 2-3 dry food brands which I rotate in and out.

They don't get tired of any frozen foods or peas that I feed them :)

Back
Top Bottom